Which Category of Air Rifle?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Which Category of Air Rifle?

Post by ShootingStar »

Looking for some insight from those more experienced than I. . .

Does the FWB 300 series of rifles fall into the Sporter category? I know they are 10m rifles and therefore Target, and I know anything (powerplant-wise) can be an Open Rifle, but does it classify as a Sporter too?

I know it is spring powered, but it has that "no recoil" action. Does that make it NOT a sporter and ONLY a Target (and Open)?

Thanks,
ShootingStar
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Which Category of Air Rifle?

Post by richard »

The rifle was intended to shoot in 10 meter competition so it should be used in target class. It would also be permitted in Open class but why would you want to compete against better guns?. You could argue that it could be shot in sporter class if it made weight however I would not allow it if I was the match director. Look at the obvious intent of the rules.
Rick B.
Richard
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

The rifle was intended to shoot in 10 meter competition so it should be used in target class. It would also be permitted in Open class but why would you want to compete against better guns?. You could argue that it could be shot in sporter class if it made weight however I would not allow it if I was the match director. Look at the obvious intent of the rules.
Rick B.
Richard
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

Richard,
Thanks for the input! I thought the same regarding the sporter classification, but wanted to see the overall opinion of the knowledge base out there. I've been very limited in my Air Rifle functions - in fact only locally with the matches I started!
It's well known that the FWB 300 series of rifles were designed & built for 10m competition, so obvious entry into TARGET classification. There are locals that are looking to get classified in each of the Air Rifle classes/categories, so I was just trying to help fully understand the distinction between each rifle.

Thanks again,
ShootingStar
Asheville Rifle & Pistol Club
100 Sandy Springs Dr
Arden, NC 28704