Lighter than 107's for C, P, & T

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Lighter than 107's for C, P, & T

Post by SteveD »

Has anyone tried bullets lighter than 107 in a 6BR for C,P, & T?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Lighter than 107's for C, P, & T

Post by cslcAl »

SteveD

I shot a 6 BR for a few years and used Sierra 95gr. tipped Match Kings. They worked very well for me. I would also suggest that the Sierra 90gr. GameChangers might be a good choice. They are basically a MatchKing with a heavier jacket for hunting.
Now having said that; I have spotted for some up and coming shooters who have been using 80gr Sierra’s. They only used them because of the lack of availability of heavier bullets.
This is the sad part; the one lad hit 10 X 10 turkeys with said 80gr. bullets and hit one square in the breast and it did not go down. Truly sad.
Just my two cents; use your own judgment.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I'm shooting 6X45 (6mm/223) and am using 68gr fb Bergers for c-t. Have rang 2 pigs, one during practice and one in a match. They don't fall energetically but so far, 4 matches / practice 99.9% of everything hit falls. No recoil... ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Thank you @cslcAl and @cedestech!

Sounds like 95 TMKs are worth a go.

How fast do you push the 68s? 95s?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

68gr Berger FB. @ 2650-ish out the muzzle....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Quite a few of us shooting 6BR use the Berger 95 grain VLD's. Mine are running about 2680 fps, not sure about anyone else.

No problem taking down anything so far.
Allen Corneau
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

You are taking rams with a 95gr bullet at 2680?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

RBriscoe wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:01 am You are taking rams with a 95gr bullet at 2680?
No, the thread title asked about chickens, pigs, and turkeys so that's what I was referring to.

I use the Berger 115 VLD (going about 2750 fps) for rams. I rang a couple at the Texas state match but didn't ring any at Nationals in Raton.
Allen Corneau
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

acorneau wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:17 am
RBriscoe wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:01 am You are taking rams with a 95gr bullet at 2680?
No, the thread title asked about chickens, pigs, and turkeys so that's what I was referring to.

I use the Berger 115 VLD (going about 2750 fps) for rams. I rang a couple at the Texas state match but didn't ring any at Nationals in Raton.
Thanks for the clarification. I was aware of the C, P, T nature of the original post, but wasn't clear on the rams. I was at the Texas match and thought everyone was using heavier bullets on the rams.

I have a 6mm barrel at the ready if my 6mm BR reamer ever shows up. I have a 7mm BR that is chambered up, but haven't gotten to the range to work it up. I do have some suggested load data from a friend who loaned me the reamer. May I ask what powder(s) you are using? It should be interesting comparing the two.

Rick
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

RBriscoe wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:55 pm ... May I ask what powder(s) you are using? It should be interesting comparing the two.
Based on the recommendation from Chris Cawthorne, who got it from Jerry Tureau... I'm using 26 grains of Vihtavuori N135 for the 95's and 30 grains of N140 for the 115's.

My speeds were from initial testing and I understand that barrels "speed up" a bit after being broken in, so it's possible it's shooting a bit faster now than I stated. I'll have to drag out the chronograph next time I do some HP practice to see what they are running at now.

:-B
Allen Corneau
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

CPT LOAD
Lapua Brass
CCI #450 Small Rifle Magnum Primer
Berger 95gr. VLD Target Bullet
29 grains Vihtavuori N140
2800 FPS

RAM LOAD
Lapua Brass
CCI #450 Small Rifle Magnum Primer
Berger 115gr. VLD Target Bullet
30 grains Vihtavuori N140
2775 FPS
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Yeah, yeah... but what does a national champion know about loading bullets?

=))
Allen Corneau
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

acorneau wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:03 pm Yeah, yeah... but what does a national champion know about loading bullets?

=))
Just enough to know that if it works, don't mess with it. :)) :)) :))
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

A National Champion that gave a spectacular performance in marksmanship but that could be second to the example Erik set for Sportsmanship and Ethics. That may not be the topic of this thread but a complement well earned. Thanks for your contributions at Nationals they were as impressive as your scores.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

acorneau wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:22 am ... the Berger 95 grain VLD's. Mine are running about 2680 fps...

... I use the Berger 115 VLD (going about 2750 fps) for rams....

...My speeds were from initial testing and I understand that barrels "speed up" a bit after being broken in, so it's possible it's shooting a bit faster now than I stated. I'll have to drag out the chronograph next time I do some HP practice to see what they are running at now.
Circling back since I set up the chronograph for some testing during HP practice today.

My 95 VLD's are in fact running about 2680 fps and the 115's are about 2750 fps, so the same as my initial testing.

Looking forward to the Tulsa Red Castle regional next weekend! :-bd
Allen Corneau