Dry Fire at a match

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Dry Fire at a match

Post by 375Short »

1. As you interpret current rules, is Dry Firing practice allowed or not allowed during a Match?

2. By your opinion, do you believe Dry Firing practice should or should not be allowed during a match?

If you interpret by rule or just your opinion, by what standards or conditions should it be allowed or not allowed?

I feel when it can be done in a way that doesn’t interfere with fellow competitors it’s often very beneficial and I often do when it’s been allowed. Standing out as an oddity, I have only fired one event that it was clearly announced, not allowed. It appeared no drama (none was needed) was a result of that announcement and the match went on. I don’t know the catalyst for that mid match announcement but could understand that shooters with firearms on the line, that are not part of a relay, could be a distraction or confusing for officials. I have also shot a number of matches in locations where there is just not enough room or any open firing points to do so. In those locations it would clearly interfere with or distract other shooters and should not be practiced.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Dry Fire at a match

Post by acorneau »

I found this under section 9, Competition Regulations...

Rule 9.13, "Interference - With the exception of competitors actually firing, coaches, and such range personnel as may be necessary, the firing points and lines will be kept clear at all times."

In my mind that seems pretty straight forward.

While I doubt anyone would have a problem with it at a club match (assuming there is spare room on the line), technically it would be against the rules.
Allen Corneau
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Dry Fire at a match

Post by 375Short »

Thanks Allen, does seem to cover it. While reading it I re-discovered 9.3-case Deflector. There was a conflict at a recent local match concerning brass, 9.3 may have helped shut that down and save some hurt feelings. Always something to learn or relearn in the rule book.