Pellet performance

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Pellet performance

Post by 375Short »

What is the optimal pellet performance sought? Like, What muzzle velocity is optimal, pellet shape and weight is the grail for less wind drift and sufficient ram energy?

I know so little about air rifle silhouette I don’t even know what reasonable expectations are.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Pellet performance

Post by Grantmac »

Anything more than 900fps in 177 will be plenty of knock down power. Even 550-600fps with relatively light 8.4gr pellets does the job but the wind does start playing with them.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

As Grant mentioned, you don't have to worry about "knock-down power" with air rifle rams like you do in high power.

In general, a heavier pellet (9.5-10+ grain) will buck the wind better than a mid-weight pellet or a lighter pellet, but the pellet that the rifle likes best will be more important for accuracy.

A "slow" rifle, like a 10m target rifle shooting ~575fps, will generally like the lighter domed pellets best (7 to 7.8 grains), but only testing in your rifle will give you the answer.

JSB diablo pellets are one of the best starting points for pellet testing. Get some 7.87's, 8.4's, and 10.34's. If you're shooting a 10m gun then the 7.33's and 7.87's would be good. Beyond that, check out the H&N offerings for another quality pellet option.
Allen Corneau
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

What Mr Corneau said above is 100% spot on. In addition, the job exact 8.4 is the most used in hunter field target nationals
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

375Short wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:21 pm What is the optimal pellet performance sought? Like, What muzzle velocity is optimal, pellet shape and weight is the grail for less wind drift and sufficient ram energy?

I know so little about air rifle silhouette I don’t even know what reasonable expectations are.
What kind of air rifle did you end up with?
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

I purchased then 2 days later sold a TX200. The springer was not my cup of tea.
I have a Anschutz 2002 10m target rifle which is a joy to shoot but is getting long in the tooth. Also hard and expensive to keep on life support as things need fixing or replacing.

I have ordered a RAW TM1000 through Airguns USA for an open rifle. They seem simple in design, robust, parts easy to obtain and US made. They also seem to have a great reputation for accuracy. That said, I never laid my hands on one so can’t offer any personal experience.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

375Short wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:38 am I purchased then 2 days later sold a TX200. The springer was not my cup of tea.
I have a Anschutz 2002 10m target rifle which is a joy to shoot but is getting long in the tooth. Also hard and expensive to keep on life support as things need fixing or replacing.

I have ordered a RAW TM1000 through Airguns USA for an open rifle. They seem simple in design, robust, parts easy to obtain and US made. They also seem to have a great reputation for accuracy. That said, I never laid my hands on one so can’t offer any personal experience.
I hope you enjoy the RAW.

I have not been brave enough to try a really nice air rifle. Had an air arms once, and once was enough. It would be very nice to be able to shoot in the backyard though.

Good luck!
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

SqHunter I also purchased a .177 Regulated Benjamin Marauder to shoot while waiting on the RAW. It seemed to work so well I considered saving money and canceling the RAW order, but I didn’t. The RAW arrived not long ago and has a little back yard time on it and two matches. I’m very impressed with it and likely will relegate the Marauder to a loaner gun. The RAW stock has a few short comings for me but they can be worked out.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Every rifle is different but generally domed shape pellets are better for silo. Stay away from wadcutter, hollow point or pointed pellets for silhouette or field target. Generally spring guns like lighter pellets maybe 7.9 to 8.5 grain and PCP guns prefer heavier pellets around 10.5 grains. Target rifles, spring or PCP, I always go with lighter pellets. Velocity should be kept below about 950 fps. Faster than that they lose accuracy. With airgun silhouette accuracy is king. Power and speed are not. Wind is a factor you just have to deal with no matter what pellet you use.
Your mileage may vary, but I doubt it.
Good Luck.
Rcik B.
Richard