Factory Silhouette rifle

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Welldone
B Poster
B Poster

Factory Silhouette rifle

Post by Welldone »

Is there a factory built rifle that is the best for Silhouette? I’ve been looking and it seems that if the stock is good, the weight is too much. If the caliber is just right, the stock not suitable. I’d be interested to hear what you guys think. I know, I know…..to get the perfect gun, go custom. Right now, I’d like to tip toe into HP.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Factory Silhouette rifle

Post by cedestech »

Have no idea who's rifle that is but $1300 with glass ready to go is pretty cheap... it's cycled though a few times with no bids so contact him off GB and he may take less. I keep looking at it thinking about either parting it out or rebarreling to something I'd like better.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1005919689
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

I just bought a stainless tikka 223. It will shoot less than 1 moa with some factory ammo. The trigger is a bit heavy, but I have also not tried to adjust it.

Get a tikka 6.5 creedmoor or a 243. The 243 has an 8 twist, so it would shoot the heavier 6mm bullets for rams if you wanted.

They make some good direct mount scope rings for tikkas. I would also get the replacement grip for the factory stock.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

The Tikka T3X Forest in 6.5 Creedmoor would be a great option! They are very accurate, have a very comfortable stock and a good trigger. At 6.8 lbs. you should have no problem making weight for hunter rifle class. It also makes a great non-silhouette hunting rifle! Have fun!
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

Tikka is the way to go.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

T3X Forest is as close as you'll get.
But I'd buy that Rem in a heartbeat.
Welldone
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Welldone »

Found a couple of more to consider.
Browning XBOLT White Gold ( stainless ,walnut with raised comb)
Weatherby Mark 5 or Vanguard with high combs.
I don’t know about the accuracy nor triggers on these.
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

Tikka Forest Model great right out of the box. Accurate, good stock and trigger. Upgrades for trigger, and other pieces readily available if inclined. As previously mentioned 6.5 CM, .243 I personally have .260.
Welldone
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Welldone »

Tikka seems to be a crowd favorite hitting the “ easy” button. I’m also looking at aftermarket stocks. I found a Mcmillian Game Scout at a good deal. Compared to Tikka Forest stock, which is better?
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

Now we're not talking out of the box. I wouldn't change stock.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

The only stock I'd spend money on is a Wooster/Pharr/etc. if anything that McMillan will not fit as well as the Forest.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Bergara B14 Timber would also be a good pick.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Welldone wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:52 am Tikka seems to be a crowd favorite hitting the “ easy” button. I’m also looking at aftermarket stocks. I found a Mcmillian Game Scout at a good deal. Compared to Tikka Forest stock, which is better?
If you are going to spend the money on a McMillan, might as well save some money and just get a Wooster
Welldone
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Welldone »

I’m not usually the type to have blingy things BUT……… my gosh, I can’t quit looking at the Browning.
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

Another vote for the Tikka. I have a Sako 85B in 260 rem, very similar to the Tikka, they are great out of the box rifles. I bought this to get my feet wet and use it for feral hog hunting mostly, but still shoot silhouette hunter class with it from time to time.