New Rifle question

This is what we do.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

New Rifle question

Post by ChuckD »

My eyes are telling me time to go to a scope (not sure the hold will agree) for shooting silhouette. Looking at rifles- there's a lot more to choose from in my price range-
Tikka, Bergera, CZ and Springfield have caught me eye, with the Springfield 2020 leading the way.
appreciate any thoughts or experiences. And nope I'm not interested in Anchutz, couldn't do it justice ;)

thanks,
chuck
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: New Rifle question

Post by thauglor »

Before you get the Springfield, look up reviews first. The bergara bmr has the benefit of rem 700 triggers, the t1x I would put the straight pistol grip on there at once, and the cz457, well Jake used it to win the Lapua Moncarch Cup this year.

I bought a 457 for my wife because of the barrel change and dry firing option capabilities of it and the number of barrels out there for it. Plus the magazines are the best of the bunch
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

The Springfield 2020 has a bull barrel (no taper) so you can't use it for Hunter Class. The other rifles have extended magazines which will be a problem after you develop a classic silhouette hold. Plus you can't use the magazine as a support. Don't try to re-invent the wheel, get a CZ457 and be done with it. You can shot in both classes and for a person just starting out it's plenty accurate.
The scope is where you need to spend the money. The majority of shooters use a 6.5x20 1 inch Leuplod with a target dot reticle. That's going to set you back about $900. If you go with cheaper scope make sure it has target knobs. You'll need to easily adjust the settings between animals.
PPKNY
Heavybarrell
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Heavybarrell »

Pete,
The Springfield 2020 Walnut sure looks like a tapered barrel. I've been checking them out myself. Plus they use the Ruger 10/22 magazines and are flush with the bottom of the stock. However, I posted a question on here about this rifle and a guy posted his buddy bought one and accuracy was poor. I have also been looking at he BMR, I have a B14R and I'm very pleased with it! Of course I dropped a Jewell trigger in it too!
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

Yes the SA 2020 can be had with a tapered barrel, however the majority of posters at RFC have relayed dismal accuracy reports on this Turkish made rifle. The CZ is probably the bang for your buck.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

A CZ457 is a solid choice. It’s good enough to be used by National Champions, International champions even.