MVA Vernier sight on a 39A

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

MVA Vernier sight on a 39A

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

I have a new to me Marlin 39A Original Golden. It has the serial number on the upper tang and I want to install a tang sight. Specifically I want to install an MVA Vernier sight on it. I was able to print to scale a picture chart or their tang sight bases with screw spacing . There seems to be two sight bases that will work without drilling through the serial number.
Has anyone on here put an MVA tang sight on a 39A? If so what base did you use?

Thanks
David
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Re: MVA Vernier sight on a 39A

Post by No1_49er »

It mat seem a bit simplistic, but I've fitted a tang sight onto a 39 and an 1894CL 32-20 without drilling an additional hole. There's no way I'd ever be drilling through a serial number.
I figured that because of the minimal recoil I would make do with just the one screw through the rear mounting hole and in lieu of the "missing" front screw I used wicking Loctite under the saddle mount to make sure nothing moved.
Never had a problem; so far so good.
YMMV.

49er
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

No1_49er wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:11 am It mat seem a bit simplistic, but I've fitted a tang sight onto a 39 and an 1894CL 32-20 without drilling an additional hole. There's no way I'd ever be drilling through a serial number.
I figured that because of the minimal recoil I would make do with just the one screw through the rear mounting hole and in lieu of the "missing" front screw I used wicking Loctite under the saddle mount to make sure nothing moved.
Never had a problem; so far so good.
YMMV.

49er
Same here, I have two rifles like this, never even bothered with the loctite, just cinch down the tang screw and go shoot. Been using them regularly for years, no problems.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

A third on no second screw. I have used one screw and Barge Cement or Shoe goo as an additional securing step. I have used those two products on traditional bows as well with relatively easy removal without finish damage. I won’t promise they won’t remove or damage some finish or become difficult to remove under some circumstance but so far I have had no problems. You don’t need much.
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

Good to know that only one fastener will work. I have considered putting a Lee Shaver tang sight on one of my 39's, but didn't want to d&t the tang. I've been using reciever sights on my SB lever, but have the mid range soule sights on my pcla and cla guns, it would be great if they were all the same... I think it would reduce uh-oh moments.
40-65rl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 40-65rl »

Which MVA sight base do you use on the 39A and the 1894 Marlins?
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

This https://montanavintagearms.com/product/ ... rlin-base/ would probably do the job, seeing as you only have one screw hole tapped and threaded.
I use a Marbles on my 94 with just the one screw.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

No1_49er wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:47 pm This https://montanavintagearms.com/product/ ... rlin-base/ would probably do the job, seeing as you only have one screw hole tapped and threaded.
I use a Marbles on my 94 with just the one screw.
The base itself is too long and the screw spacing is too great.
I am waiting for my new sight with the 1894 Legacy base. There is a Ruger #1 base on there base size & hole spacing chart. Unfortunately they don't actually make the Ruger #1 base, as it would also fit.

I was able to print there chart to scale and cut out templates of bases that looked promising.
When the new sight is installed I will post pictures.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore