Marlin 57M

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Marlin 57M

Post by 375Short »

I have a Marlin 57m that when purchased didn’t extract reliable and ejected fairly lethargic. Replaced the extractor and the extraction problem was solved. Ejection remains to me what appears weak. Empties do eject, clearing the gun a few inches. I have no experience with this model to determine if that’s normal or something to resolve. Anyone that has experience, how does yours eject empties? If I work the lever lazy an empty mostly just falls out the side, hard and fast the empty clears the action a few inches. My expectations of empties to depart with enthusiasm may be unrealistic for this model?
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Marlin 57M

Post by Jetmugg »

My 57M ejects reliably. I've never paid much attention to the ejection behavior, because it's never caused me a problem.

I don't have to turn the rifle sideways, or pay any particular attention to operating the lever smartly. It just "spits them out the side" as JM intended.

Based on your description, I wonder if the left side extractor (not really an extractor, but more like a retainer) piece and spring are behaving properly.

Steve.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Studying the issue with good light and good glasses on, I think the culprit is the FEEDTHROAT, .22 MAG, LEFT SIDE 57M MARLIN / GLENFIELD as described by Numrich. The protrusion that acts as the ejector is married to this part. Now that I see what it should look like I can tell mine is well worn and somewhat rounded off. Now that I know a part is available I will proceed bravely with a file. If returning it to the correct profile works, problem solved. If I make it worse, $20.00 should bail me out.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Fixed. The metal that comprises the FEED-THROAT assembly, which the ejector is a part of, is very soft and I can see how it could easily wear like mine had. If anyone experiences a similar problem that area is worth investigating.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

Great to hear about a happy resolution!

Steve