Another sight question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Another sight question

Post by chickenhater »

I was working on adapting a redfield international on to one of my 39's. I was told that niether the international, nor the olympic, were allowed by NRA rules. So i bought a redfield 75, which is suppoaed to be kosher, but having trouble finding the necessary base.
Ive since heard of others using competition sights, like the centra. So my question, is there any up to date rule regarding rear sights, as to what type and or model is allowed? Are the redfield international or olympic sights now ok for sbla?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Another sight question

Post by DonM »

If you go to the NRA competitions and look at the Sillhouette rule book you'll find this
a. Rear sights may be open, receiver, or tang sights, mounted as originally intended. Corrective lenses are allowed in the rear site only. No extended mounts are permitted. The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed non magnified round aperture. A front sight anti-glare tube which may be no longer than 11⁄8” to include any attachments and no longer than a 3⁄4 outside diam- eter, may be used.
Fiber optic material may be used in or on the post or bead and may not be longer than its support blade and not to exceed 1 1/8” in length. In an antiglare tube, the fiber optic material may not be any longer than the tube or extended outside the tube. The fiber optic sights do not need to be commercially manufactured.
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

Thanks for the reply. I have read that, but was told by another shooter that there was an addendum that listed some sights as non compliant, such as the international. I guess its something from years past and no longer in force... but it would be nice to know for sure...
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

It comes down to if it isn't in the current rule book, then it doesn't exist, unless it's in an individual match bulletin.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

I have just checked my Jan 2010 version of the rule book and 3.1.3 (1) says "No Olympic type sights or extended mounts are permitted."
The problem with that rule was that the term "Olympic type sights" was never defined. Did they mean sights as might be used on an Olympic (ISU, UIT, now ISSF) type rifle, or did they mean the sight that was produced by Redfield that bore the 'Olympic' model designation. In fact, if you look at images of the Redfield sight, it is so similar to the Lyman that is fitted to my Marlin 39, the argument "no Olympic" is moot. Or was there a time that my Lyman was also not permitted?
Or is this what was meant by the term "extended mount"? https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5349/9031 ... cf6e_b.jpg
And if you really want to join the "equipment race" what about one of these? https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/20 ... -shooters/
No, not to your liking? Perhaps one of these? https://www.pyramydair.com/images/acc/P ... 036957.jpg
Me? I'll stick with my Lyman, and Williams on some of the other rifles.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

The length of Olympic and International style front sights would eliminate them, as per the way the rules are currently written.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

To be clear, I understood the question, and my response, to refer to rear sights.
Certainly, there is a specific rule which specifies the maximum length (1 1/8") and diameter (3/4") of a front (globe) sight, hence the dominance of the Lyman 17A.
The "old" rule which stated that "Olympic" sights were not permitted referred specifically to rear sight.

The complete text of that (Jan 2010) paragraph is here:-
"Rear sights may be open sights, receiver or tang sights manufactured for the rifle they are mounted on. No Olympic type sights or extended mounts are permitted. Front sights must be a post or bead, may be hooded or if interchangeable may use post inserts only."
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

The NRA Silhouette Rule Book was updated in 2020. You should read it to see the current rules regarding rear sights.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

JohnHenry wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:51 pm The NRA Silhouette Rule Book was updated in 2020. You should read it to see the current rules regarding rear sights.
You really should keep up to date.
The current rule book is dated Jan 2023. Go here https://competitions.nra.org/competitio ... ule-books/
elevenbravo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by elevenbravo »

chickenhater, hi, I have been building bases for Redfield receiver sight for years, modes 70, 75, international
and Olympic and have never heard of any not passing inspection. all of these sights function the same the
only difference is size and resolution. We petitioned the NRA years ago to get the term Olympic type sight
removed from the rule book and I thought it had been, email me for pics of my sights plviola22@gmail,com
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

elevenbravo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:01 am We petitioned the NRA years ago to get the term Olympic type sight removed from the rule book and I thought it had been, email me for pics of my sights plviola22@gmail,com
Discussions, such as this, become immensely frustrating when people refer to old (sometimes, very old) iterations of a rule book.
To be clear, the current rule book is dated January 2023, and in those rules there is NO reference to "Olympic" sights.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »