Air supply

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Air supply

Post by 375Short »

I will know the answer at some point but some experience based knowledge would be helpful.

I have access to two SCUBA tanks and both need hydro testing. Say, Two matches a day with 15 PCP shooters. Will a full tank last a match, a season of matches? I know there are many variables but I suppose someone has a general idea.

Thanks
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Air supply

Post by acorneau »

SCUBA tanks are going to be either 3,000 or 3,500 PSI max pressure. Some/many air rifles take 3,000 PSI (200 BAR) for a max fill, some a bit less. Also, a low-power/Target air rifle is going to sip air (200 shots on a fill) where a high-power/Open gun is going to gulp (50 shots?).

If you have a 3,000 PSI tank and 3,000 PSI rifles, it won't be long before you can't fill your rifles to a full refill. Can you still shoot on less than a full fill? Of course, you just have to top-off after fewer shots.

That's why many of us use the carbon-fiber 4,500 PSI tanks... more fills before you can't hit your rifle's max fill pressure. For me and my one rifle, I can get about half a year's shooting before I have to get my tank filled again.

You can use this kind of tool to calculate how many fills you might get for any given situation:
https://www.pyramydair.com/widgets/tank-calculator.php

If you're wanting to provide air for 15+ shooters then you might look into getting a valve system that connects to a large 6,000 PSI nitrogen tank which you can rent from many welding supply places.
https://www.topgun-airguns.com/product/ ... -assembly/

:ymcowboy:
Allen Corneau
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Thanks Allen

My thought was building a new club it would be nice to help folks be able to participate. Providing some air may help. With little experience in modern air rifle competition, I’m only guessing the general practice is what you bring you should be able to feed it, Like with powder burning competition. That said, at one time or another we have probably all been happy to help someone in an ammo crises or need a little help ourselves.

Which is more typical, people fill their own rifles from provided air or someone knowledgeable fills guns? I have a worry that someone will mindlessly fill a 2500psl gun with a blast of 3500psi. I could see that causing some drama and maybe injury.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

All the air rifle matches I've been to everyone takes care of their own filling, although some groups/teams might share bottles for convenience.

Another solution would be to get a compressor. The decent/nicer ones can be set at a target PSI and it will automatically shut off once it hits the target pressure, so less of a chance of someone blowing up their gun.

As long as you have a 110V outlet (or some even run on 12V battery) you have a continuous/unending supply of air. Topping off a rifle should only take a few minutes while topping off a tank would take much more (half an hour to an hour, maybe?).

You're thinking in the right direction. Make it easier for people to decide to show up and participate. I've thought that having a trusted air supply available at the match and not needing to lug around a tank would be a nice perk for the participants.

:-bd
Allen Corneau
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Some clubs around my area do provide air, usually via a carbon fiber tank, and some do not. Most everyone knows how to fill there own rifle so no issue with higher pressure tanks. Either way is okay as long as you let people know up front what the deal is. I use "club" air when it is available but some prefer their own air or nitrogen. Try using the 3000 lb scuba tanks and see how it works out for you.
Rick B.
Richard
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Thanks Rick

Going to start with one SCUBA tank, it’s free and available except needing a hydro test.
There is also a single electrical outlet available. I need to test it, assuming it works, people will be able to run compressors.
I believe the facility is going to provide a great platform for growing a thriving AR silhouette program.

Over the months I have received great information from this platform, it’s appreciated and helps flatten my learning curve.

First match is Saturday,
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

What part of the country will your matches be held?
Also i know PCPs are popular, but i suspect youll have shooters showing up with self contained systems as well... such as SSP 10m guns and spring piston. So you might not have to supply air for the whole crowd. I usually steer people interested in getting into this game towards medium powered spring piston guns, since it saves some $$$ and requires much less periphery.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

We will be holding monthly matches in Amarillo TX at the Amarillo Rifle and Pistol Club. Interesting club history - the land it sits on was owned by Mr. Whittington same Mr. Whittington that the NRA Center is named after.