Electronic Powder Scales

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Electronic Powder Scales

Post by Bob259 »

Getting into HP and have the normal scales, a RCBS 10-10 and the big RCBS beam scale.

However, with the introduction of electronic scales, since I started loading for handgun, I was wondering what everyone in rifle shooting is using now, beam or elecronic and if electronic which one, how do you like it and have you had any problems.
chickenchoker
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chickenchoker »

Bill, I started out with a 10-10 scale moved to a RCBS 304 scale with 2 Harrell's powder measure. Everything was pretty good. I decided to start shootin some at 1000 yds and shoot some varmints way out yonder. My mess was a mess. So I searched around and found a Denver Instruments MXX-123. At the time they were $250 and had an accuracy of .02 grains. What an eye opener it was to the reliability of the other scales and measures. My long range shooting came together. The only thing you would need to add to this would be an economical power supply to help regulate that electricity. You know the ones they sell for computers or other digital equipment. I know your saying " I don't need that sh*t". Hold on, I'm gettin to it. I helped a friend get started in accuracy reloading who had a lot of guns to load for and no time. I had him buy the ChargeMaster combo from RCBS. At the time midway had a sell on and he got the combo for less than $200. I checked the scale against mine and its greatest error was no more than 1/10 grain. The most impressive part was that you could pour the powder in the case, put the pan back in place, punch the button to dump a new charge, put the previously charged case in the press, seat a bullet, put finished round in the ammo box and the ChargeMaster already had the next powder charge ready. The scale portion of the combo worked great. He didn't have surge protection hooked up to the scale and lightening got it. HE cotacted RCBS and they fixed it free of charge. While his was gettin fixed, I loaned him my 10-10 scale and the next day he bought an extra scale for his ChargeMaster to have as a spare. You just can't mess with money. I know it's a long story but it gives you a few options. One way around the lightening and fluctuating a/c current is to get something that uses batteries. If you decide to do load development at the range, battery scales will let you do that BUT you'll have to sacrifice sensitivity because of wind ( I mean any breeze). The MXX-123 allows you to go into the program and adjust the sensitivity. Hope this helps.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Bob, I started handloading in 1968 using a Lyman (Ohaus) beam scale that was part of a beginner kit my parents gave me as a birthday present. Prior to the kit I was using a Lyman 310 "nut cracker" my uncle modified to load 6.5 Jap for a T38 Arisaka he gave me. I also upgraded to an RCBS 10-10 a decade later. Both are great scales. A few years ago I bought the RCBS basic digital scale. It has been replaced two times, under warrenty, and I still have not tried the last replacement, still in the box after having it 2 years. I love that Lyman and find myself using it constantly. It is simple, accurate and reliable. I still use the Lyman #55 powder measure that was part of that kit, too.
NewAZShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by NewAZShooter »

I'm using the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder Scale and Dispenser Combo, which is accurate to +-1/10th grain.

No problems with it so far on loads varying from 4.5 gr to 58 gr. The larger charges take a little longer to dispense, maybe as much as 30 seconds. I usually seat the bullet and put it in the ammo box and have to wait another ten seconds for the dispenser/scale when loading for the .06, but it beasts me loading the .22 hornets. It is very accurate and simple to use.
~JW

Love it when those chickens fly!

CZ 452 Silhouette
Ruger 10/22 W/ Clark Custom Barrel, B&C Anschutz Style Stock
Interarms Mark X 30.06
Browning BuckMark .22LR
T/C .22 LR, .22 Hornet
Ruger GP-100 .357 Mag
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

I have had a Dillon Terminator for years. I think that your powder thrower is up there with your powder scale. I have a Harrells Precision and I don't mess with a scale much anymore. There was a article in Precison Shooting a couple of months ago. The author stated that the Harrells was one of the most accurate, but he also stated that his 20.00 Lee thrower was just as good. I know a couple of people who use the Lee with no complaints.
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

scales

Post by GregG »

I have used several beam scales and no longer use them. I hate all with swing and waiting. But they are really the most accurate.

I have switched to nothing but electronic scales but you have to be careful, some do not have great stats. They will say +/- .2 or .1 but that is really a varient of -.x to +x. This maybe a problem for you.

For 1k I do use an automated PACT powder measure pretty good, pretty fast but way to slow for large production.

Depending on the powder any drop will work pretty well but if you go to extruded powders then watch out.

The best measure I have used is the $20 lee. The lee seems to work with any powder well, from 4895, 4350, to varget. This is the one I use to load all my silhouette and non-1k loads.

Also just a poll for the readers....Do you or no you not agree with the rule of thumb sierra has give me in the past .3 variant in loads is OK and will not change impact? Why eitherway?

Greg
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

Greg G, I used to throw my powder with a RCBS Uniflow, it was within .01-1.0 grain of powder depending on all of the varibles, then I would weigh the charge with the Dillon. One time I was short on time and just dumped the powder and seated the bullets. The match that I shot that ammo in was the Az Presidents match in 03, the ammo was good for 10 Turkeys. My thoughts is the +/- of your charge will affect your round at the longer ranges. That is why I use the Harrells. Just my thoughts.
chickenchoker
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chickenchoker »

I use a pistol and a premium measure from Harrell's. They were pretty consistent with ball and small extruded powder which is what they are designed for. With the medium to long extruded powder they were not so good. I'd find that charges that ran from 40-100 grs would be pretty consistent and then all of a sudden it would go +/- more than 1 grain. As long as your not pushing the max pressure of your particular case, a tenth or two variation in powder charge has less effect than a load that's stoked to the max. When I load my 6BR to shoot at 1000 yds, I use 30 grs. of Varget and that's almost a full case and velocity is 2930 fps with a 105 gr Lapua Scenar. A 1% or .3 grain increase in powder causes the velocity to increase to over 3000 fps and bolt lift is sticky with cratered primer.YIKES!!! If your pushing a case at it's upper pressure limit, it is a good idea to check each and every load on your scale if you dump loads from a powder measure. It can never hurt to double check your work.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Thanks guys... I think I'm going to go with the RCBS 1500 ChargeMaster. Buying it as the combo will save me some money and it's gotten great reviews. Besides... I'm blaming all this additional expense on Kitty anyway as it's all his fault I ordered a HP rifle too :wink:
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

Bob,

I use the chargemaster and I think it is great. One thing, when the beep tells you the charge is ready, make sure you look at the weight on the scale. Sometimes (not real often) the last turn will drop a clomp of powder and exceed the requested charge amount. You will see this when you look at the weight on the scale. The most difference I have ever seen is about .3 grains. Most of time it is just .1 grain and this only happens about 5 out of 100 counts. I just pick up the pan and dump a few out and re-weight. Then I am good to go.

It is a pretty fast scale so have fun.
tim
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

Hey Kitty - Shhhh. Don't let Bob hear.

You ought to offer to order your buddy Bob's Chargemaster for him. Then paint it and wire in some of them little Christmas lights and mail it to to him. Bingo! New bling category!

Damn, that sounded funny when I told it to myself. Guess I been at work too long. Bes' go home now.

dwl
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

dwl wrote:Hey Kitty - Shhhh. Don't let Bob hear.

You ought to offer to order your buddy Bob's Chargemaster for him. Then paint it and wire in some of them little Christmas lights and mail it to to him. Bingo! New bling category!

Damn, that sounded funny when I told it to myself. Guess I been at work too long. Bes' go home now.

dwl
dwl.... We all know Kitty doesn't need any help or encouragement.... But damn those little Christmas lights do sound interesting :wink: Kitty what do you think :D

I'll be waiting by the mail box!!
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

When you are dispensing powder, keep your loading room the same temprature ALL the time. Do your loading in the spring or fall when the heater isn't kicking on and off all the time. The temp swings from your low point 'on' to your high point 'off' will screw up your measure. If you have a constant temp and a constant motion with your measure you should get an even measure every time. The powder expands and contractw with temp and humidity changes.

I use an electronid scale to set my Dillon. At one time in my life I loaded using a Redding measure and weighed every fifth load with a Lyman beam scale. Once I got the temp even my problems went away and I weight a charge once in a while when the feeling hits me. I think that your operation of the measure has an effect on the charge you throw.

Your most consistant charge for velocity tests will be the one that makes the case the fullest. A full case will have a more even ignition that a case that is 3/4 full.

Time to get off my soap box.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

SCALE

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

Guys
You know sometimes when I read some of the coments about High Power accuracy in this web page, I get confused, It sounds like I am in a bench rest forum, my god we are shooting targets that are somewhat biggerrrr than the X on bench rest targets.
I reload all my rounds on a Dillon 550B I weight the first round, and go to town, and all the ammo will shoot 1/2 min. angle very consistently.
Unless you are using powder that has very big extruded pellets ( 4895 REL.22 ETC. ) a 10 tenth of a grain difference is not going to change your point of impact more than 3/8" maybe.
Spend more time shooting, instead of weighing powder charges. I can reload 300 rounds in one hour in my 550B.
How many can you do in one hour, by weighing every charge ?????
Evelio.
Evelio
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Who knew Evelio was a voice of reason? And about weight sorting 22LR ammunition... Sure it makes a difference, but does it matter when shooting offhand?
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ