Donor or Custom?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Donor or Custom?

Post by BlauBear »

At some point in the nest year I'll ask (note that I said "ask" - considering the grief I've handed him this past year he may send me to the back of the bus) Evelio to build a high power for me, probably in .260, and probably around a (what else?) Remington 700 action. In the past these actions were available "in the white" from Brownell's, but that has changed and actions are now either lifted from "donor" rifles or sourced from full custom builders like Stiller.

Donor actions may come from new or used rifles, but either way will require truing and this adds cost. Considering the cost of buying a complete rifle just for the action and having it trued, is it better to buy a custom (or <ahem> "Boutique") action?
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

It's a flip of the coin probably, I went with the Custom for my new build as the prices wasn't that much more then a trued donor.
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

I just sent Evelio a 243 ADL I got at WalMart for $325+tax for the 7-08 he's gonna build for me.

My rifle will be less when done than many Remmy fancy factory models.
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Is there any difference in actions from inexpensive rifles and higher dollar ones?
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

BlauBear wrote:Is there any difference in actions from inexpensive rifles and higher dollar ones?
I believe the finish on the SPS/ADL's are of a lower quality than the Sendero's or such, but the machining's the same.
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

Steve, if you don't mind - how do you get those cheap prices on the remington rifles. I keep checking walmart online everytime I see some post that they got an ADL or SPS for around the $300 mark and I only ever see prices in the $600 mark?

Are they cheaper instore? On special or what? The walmarts I've seen in LA haven;t had rifles on the shelf so must be special order. I'd appreciate any info you can give.

Thanks in advance, Shandy
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

Call around to the WalMarts. What I found was local (if you can find them in stock) was 270's for LA ADL's at $299, and 243 for SA ADL's at $325.

My guess is that they are new old stock, because I believe the SPS line with the new triggers (read-non adjustable) are replacing the cheapie synthetic ADL line.

Steve E
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

Shandy, I live in the same area as Steve does. I was told by a Walmart employee a few months ago that there are only three stores in our area that even sell guns anymore. I don't know if they were reducing their inventorys of guns from what they received from other stores or what, but a few K-Marts did the same thing a few months back. I walked into one the other day and they had Remington 250 count .22 ammo in a tin marked down from 13.00 to 5.00, it looked like they were not even going to carry ammo anymore.
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

Thanks guys, I was suspecting something along those lines. I'll try and see what I can come up with but as stated I have read that Walmart/Kmart etc are getting out of the gun business too (although may still offer it through special order). They just looked like good prices so I thought I would ask what I was missing out on.

I'll give it a go. Many thanks, Shandy
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

back to the topic, If a guy is going to get into high power(I'm thinking about it) is it better to see he can find a short action rem 700 at a local gun show that can be used for a base platform, granted the doner is in good shape, or should he just start with a new action and go from there? Thanks for the info for a potential high power shooter.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

shakes wrote:back to the topic, If a guy is going to get into high power(I'm thinking about it) is it better to see he can find a short action rem 700 at a local gun show that can be used for a base platform, granted the doner is in good shape, or should he just start with a new action and go from there? Thanks for the info for a potential high power shooter.
Shakes... I went through the same decision process recently when I was deciding on my HP. I talked to I'll bet 100 people while making my decision and would be happy to discuss it with you if you'd like.

I went with a custom and am quite happy with the decision and all in all it wasn't that much more.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Shakes, Remington offers very little useful in a new rifle other than the action. Stocks and calibers are wrong for silhouette unless you're content to shoot a hunting rifle in .308 or 7mm 08 in straight comb stock, so right off you're faced with buying major parts and paying someone to install them. Getting a new rifle for this purpose is hard to justify, unless you can find a really great deal, so that leaves hunting rifle, used, custom, or something besides Remington.

If a strong, accurate custom rifle at the lowest cost is your goal, find a used action and let a good smith tune it up, install a barrel and put it in a new stock. If bling is your thing, go the custom route. Either way you have great shooter.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

I'm gonna have sooo much fun helping 'Bear with his new rifle.....Kitty the corrupter strikes again.....

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

jneihouse wrote:I'm gonna have sooo much fun helping 'Bear with his new rifle.....Kitty the corrupter strikes again.....

Kitty
Ohhhh. I wanna help, I wanna help too!!!!!
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Have you seen the new single shot action from Savage? 8)