It's ALIVE!

This is what we do.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Quick update here. After a very long, nasty day at work, I got a chance to go by the shop and pick up the stock. It measured 6 3/8" from bore line to the tip of the toe of the stock.

I thought I might finally get to throw a coat of paint on it, but my father-in-law had sanded it down and added another coat of primer earlier in the day, right as it started to sprinkle rain. That coat of primer had about 200 little dimples from the tiny little raindrops. Since I'm putting a gloss metallic paint with gloss clearcoat on this stock, that pretty much set me back to starting the primer phase over. A little fairly coarse steel wool stripped all the old primer right off and I started over. The first coat of primer is hanging in my garage tonight drying. I'll probably have to go through two more primer coats before I can start in on the paint and clearcoat.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

After I got the Frankenstock "finished" the first time, complete with two coats of paint and two coats of glossy clearcoat, I thought I was done. I thought that right up until one end of the rack it was hanging on came loose and swung the freshly clearcoated stock right into my sweatshirt. Sure enough, the enamel clearcoat had softened all the way down to the primer as enamel often does. Swinging into my sweatshirt was enough to mess up the finish all the way through the paint and primer to the wood/bondo. I ended up having to strip it all the way back down and start over. That was five days ago, and I'm just now getting it finished. Even though there are a couple tiny imperfections left I could fix with a little more smoothing and another layer of clearcoat, I'm calling it done. I'm just tired of dealing with it.

As it sits, the gun with all hardware, factory rubber buttpad, and empty magazine weighs 6lbs 15.7oz. The CZ website says it originally weighed 6.8lbs (6lbs 12.8oz), but wood stocks vary and I remember this one weighing just a little more than the specs said originally. That means that this whole process, including all the layers of primer, paint, and clearcoat only added a couple ounces to the weight of the stock and it's much more comfortable to shoot offhand now. I'll try to snap a picture or two of the finished product tomorrow in better light.

This has definitely been a learning experience. I am not sure it's one I'm willing to repeat unless it's for a hunting gun that I'll just throw a couple coats of flat finish paint of some earthy color onto. This metal fleck and glossy crap is way too much trouble.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

How much

Post by GeoNLR »

How much do your rings weigh exactly? What type are you using?
Image Chicken George
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

That weight is without rings, bases, or scope. I have 24.3oz left for scope and mounts. If the Elite 4200 weighs 20.2 ounces, that leaves me 4.1oz for rings and mounts. The only rings I have here that can exceed that are the Burris Signature high airgun mounts that weigh in at a whopping 5.1oz. I have to experiment today with rings and riser combinations to find some that get the scope to just the right height (can use any old scope for this). Then I'll either use what I figure out or get a better/lighter mounting solution that height.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

New Pictures!

Post by Jason »

Here's the gun as finished as it's going to be for Pe Ell. It took some doing, but I found a combination of rings/risers that gets the scope to just the right height for my eye. I'll probably use the mounts as they are for Pe Ell and upgrade to some of Marv's later. For once, I was glad to have that BSA scope lying around, as it is pretty close to the Elite that will be here on Tuesday in size, weight, and eye relief. It also let me get the gun to the range and try ammo in it. That blue box Golden Eagle Target sure shot great, and it will be what I use for Pe Ell.

GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Man, what great results... I can't wait to shoot it.
Image Chicken George