Can you do this?

This is what we do.

Can you do this?

Post by Guest »

Can anyone actuall hold the cross hairs on the animal for more than a split second. I have been practicing my holds at home and find it a bit tiring trying to hold on a target for than a split second. Do you actually try to hold still? Or do you try to control your wiggle? Do you move through the target consciously or try to hold on the target. I am new at this and it has my attention captured to try and improve. Looking for the secrets from all of you .

Thanks

Kevin
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

nobody holds their dot perfectly still for very long but the more successful shooters typically have a wobble zone well in the animal with a break that is very still. keep in mind, with good conditions, it doesn't matter where you break on the target as long as you follow thru.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Dave, right now it feels like my wobble zone is every where else but in the animal. hehehhe

Kevin

Post by Guest »

Any one who says they can simply hold on the target is going to have to prove it at the next match- and the one after that and then... well you get the idea.

As you get better the wobble zone will decrease significantly- but there is much more going on than that.

A small wobble zone does not help if it is not on the target. This leads to learning about you natural point of aim (NPA)- and how to shift it to where you need it. When the NPA can be shifted so it is over the target the samller wobble zone will leave you drifting on and off of the target, with periodic pauses and change in direction.

At that point you find out if you really know how to pull you trigger. What I mean by this is knowing what an increase in tension on the trigger does to the wobble, at what tension the gun fires, and being able to control that process so you can make it occur when you need it to. It is easy to see a beautiful sight picture, admire it- and have it drift off as you pull the trigger... The key is to anticipate when you will wobble into the perfect sight picture so you can have the gun going off just before then. I say before as the alternative is after and you are then moving off the target.

Easier said than done.

If you do not have a scope with a dot I would suggesting getting one. They are popular in Silhouette for a reason.

I find it best to look at the dot, not the animal (Why? It is the dot you actually move. It is also easier to see the larger target than the dot). Ideally the dot wobbles towards where I want it and I pull the trigger as it arrives there. Some days that does just not happen. On those days I simply try and pull the trigger as I am moving onto the target and have white surrounding the dot.

Post by Guest »

Good information, thanks. I already purchased a buschnell 4200 mil dot. I might look at sending it in to get tehe 1/4 moa dot installed.

Thanks

Kevin
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

Guest,
Can you identify yourself so I can understand whom I'm getting advice from? Regarding holding on the target, I shot with about 10 people this last weekend that do pretty much just that. Regarding watching your dot, some folks might suggest to focus on a spot on the target as opposed to the dot. Lots of ways to skin a cat i suppose.
dave
eeleater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by eeleater »

Dave

Sorry about that. I assumed I was logged on as Eeleater when I responed with my comments and suggestion about looking at dot vs target. I do not belive there is just one way to shoot well, and what works for one will not work for another.

I did not mean to imply that no one can hold on the target- but most cannot. If most could the average scores would be higher :D . My main intent was to bring in the importance of the natural point of aim, and one way to deal with the wobble.

I belive some shooters new to the sport belive the higher scoring individuals were born with a special talent- and do not see a potential for them to ever get that good. Talent does play a part- but mostly when it is combined with dedication, practice and techique. The last 3 areavailable to anyone who recognizes their value.

Kevin.

The Bushnell 4200 is an excellent choice. As with other things there is a variety of opinion about dot size. With Bushnell you can get both 1/4 and 1/2 min dots. Mine has a 1/2 min dot. I believe it was chicken George who got the 1/4 min and found it was too small for his tastes. If possible find someone with the scope you are consider ing and try it on their gun. The other thing to remember is that the dot size will change as the magnification changes. I have the 8 X 32. As the magnification is decreased the 1/4 from 32 to 8 the apparent dot size increases by four- from 1/2 min to 2 min. A 1/4 min dot would just go up to 1 min. Someting to think about if you are going to use the scope in the mid to lower end of its range vs the upper. I leave mine on 32.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

I left them all 1/4 MOA. Bushnell offered to change for free, but I went and shot 2 times that weekend with them and was 'hooked'... not I can't shoot with a ballon as a dot...LOL

Chicken - The other white meat
Image Chicken George
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

I hear that simple holding drills, where you try to hold within ever-smaller circles for instance, are effective in reducing wobble. I don't know because I've never had sufficient discipline to do them over an extended period. It's pulling the trigger that makes the serious wobble so I always end up dry-firing or using the airgun, trying to learn to break the shot without disturbing the dot.
"A man must love an activity very much to keep practicing it, not only without hope of fame or money, but without hope that he will ever get really good at it." G.K. Chesterton.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Thanks for information from all of you. I am having a blast just learning this new sport. But then again I like buying new equipment too. I have a line on a new anschutz 1712, 2 stage trigger, ajustable LOP and wood stock. $1250.00 What do you guys think? Good price ?

Kevin
Koldkut
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Koldkut »

thats the one at neals, its sweet gun.....

Post by guest »

Does anyone use david Tubbs approach method? As I under stand his descption in his book he comes down to nine oclock and moves over from the left and times his shot as he comes to the center of the target. has anybody tried this or have any opions on this.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Andy, yes that is the one that was at Neals. I just put a deposit on it. its mine in about 30 days. heheheh We will go shoot it out at ben lomand.

Kevin
Koldkut
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Koldkut »

what you doing with that Honda CZ you have now that you are getting a caddillac Anschutz....

Post by Guest »

Not sure yet Andrew, I am still playing with it a bit, seeing what I can make er do. What do you do for work here in the Springs? Are you interested in the gun?

Kevin