RWS Target Rifle

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Smed31
B Poster
B Poster

RWS Target Rifle

Post by Smed31 »

RWS "High" Target Rifle is $46 a brick at Midway. It says it is 1080 fps with a 40 gr. lead round nose bullet. Anbody tried this ammo, if so, what were your results?
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: RWS Target Rifle

Post by Bob259 »

Smed31 wrote:RWS "High" Target Rifle is $46 a brick at Midway. It says it is 1080 fps with a 40 gr. lead round nose bullet. Anbody tried this ammo, if so, what were your results?
We have some folks that use only that as their rifles love it. I use it for our indoor shooting. Like all ammo and .22's in general what works in one rifle may not in the next, get a small amount and try it to see how your rifle likes it before buying a large amount.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Shoots for me.

Post by Jetmugg »

I bought a brick at the local sporting goods store (Dunn's in Pevely, MO) due to the reasonable price ($50 per brick) and good reputation. In my 1712, it shoots better groups than the SK Standard Plus / Wolf MT that I had been shooting.

My elevation settings changed slightly, but was'nt too tough to find the new settings, it was only off by about 1" POI at 100M.

SteveM.
tbone49
A Poster
A Poster

Post by tbone49 »

I bought 2 cases from Grice less than a year ago for 289 per case, and I sure wish I would have gotten more. Good stuff.
Smed31
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Smed31 »

Great, I will give it a try. Thanks.
steve b.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by steve b. »

Just as a heads up, Federal is going to have a new "match grade" ammunition in 2009. It's being made by RWS, but I don't know it's price point or what line of RWS it will be based on.

Since Federal (ATK) has some very deep pockets for buying power, it may be worth testing out. Should be able to get it easier than standard RWS.

s.
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

I guess that's less risky than developing their own round again.
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

I'm frustrated! I asked Federal why they didn't make a better grade of match ammo like the old UM1. Insead I was told that all their employees shoot Auto Match. Not an answer to the question and I work for ATK!

Instead they will repackage RWS. Hmm, buy someone elses product, no control over quality and the profit goes to the supplier. This will improve the bottom line?
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

Will dropping boatloads of money into developing their own match round in-house and having it not sell improve the bottom line?
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

With a few changes Federal could make 711B a very well respected rounded. And it is easy to see why Federal employees use Automatch - it's very good, inexpensive round. Very high value.

If they could just make it smell like Eley!
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

I find that more than a little hard to believe, after reading about how many things Eley had to change just to make incremental advances in their Tenex round. I don't think Federal's got anything worth improving right now, which is probably exactly why they're buying from someone else. If Federal really only needed a few changes to make one of their rounds truly competitive, do you honestly think they would be thinking about buying stuff from RWS?
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

With a single exception, every rifle I've tried 711B in (including Anschutz 1712) liked it as well as Eley Target Rifle. The only exception shot it fine, but the chamber was cut for Eley and the bolt was hard to close. Powder and primer fouling are modest, too, also comparable to most Eley.

Unfortunately, it does leave lead behind so regular cleaning is a must. Fix that and get it dimensionally closer to Eley and it's great ammunition. No threat to Tenex, but then RWS is the only other company I know of with anything in that league, which is probably why Federal is buying from them: Replicating that research and development would cost a great deal.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

That's what I just said. :P
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

_Shorty wrote:That's what I just said. :P
Not quite:
_Shorty wrote:I don't think Federal's got anything worth improving right now, which is probably exactly why they're buying from someone else. If Federal really only needed a few changes to make one of their rounds truly competitive, do you honestly think they would be thinking about buying stuff from RWS?
Competing with Tenex is very different from competing for the higher volume stuff. Developing a product that's technically competitive with Tenex is prohibitively expensive, and trying to overcome their marketing lead looks hopeless. Since the market size is microscopic, the potential for profit is just about nil, so there's no realistic choice but to re-label another company's product, and since RWS gains access to Federal's distribution and marketing clout, it's a win-win.

Of course, all this without knowing how seriously "match grade" this new ammunition is.
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

Not quite? heh. Whatever, man. You said one thing, then changed your tune when I disagreed and said why, and then you attempted to say what I just said as if I hadn't just said it. Boggles the mind. No wonder this place gets almost no traffic.