beeman air rifle

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

beeman air rifle

Post by ppkny »

I'm starting to research air rifles and getting a bit confused with the offerings at the three sites mentioned in a previous post. The Beeman model HW97 MKlll is offered in a carbine model also with a 40 inch barrel not the 44 inch barrel that the regular model has. The #'s and descriptions don't add up when you go to compare prices. Anyone have any experience with this. I could use some help. Seems like buyer beware if you don't know what you are looking for. Any help, Please.
ppkny
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: beeman air rifle

Post by Bob259 »

ppkny wrote:I'm starting to research air rifles and getting a bit confused with the offerings at the three sites mentioned in a previous post. The Beeman model HW97 MKlll is offered in a carbine model also with a 40 inch barrel not the 44 inch barrel that the regular model has. The #'s and descriptions don't add up when you go to compare prices. Anyone have any experience with this. I could use some help. Seems like buyer beware if you don't know what you are looking for. Any help, Please.
ppkny
How long have we all been telling you that you needed help and your just now realizing it????
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

beeman

Post by ppkny »

Bob259, At least I can admit it. Now please how about some serious help.
ppkny
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Serious help from Bob259??? Only if it involves a harmless prank on fellow competitor.

Innocent Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Innocent wrote:Serious help from Bob259??? Only if it involves a harmless prank on fellow competitor.

Innocent Mary
Mary, You know I'm ALWAYS serious... :wink:
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I don't have a HW97, I just got a TX200 and I know the barrels are not all that long. The barrels on these rifles are actually pretty short in th 10-11" range. The ProSports barrel is only 9" long IIRC. So those lengths your giving must be the overall length of the rifle.

Not sure what sites your looking at or what exactly is confusing you. Perhaps there is some difference in the stock causing a big difference in price like walnut over beech will cost around $100 more on average. As for cost differences between the carbine and full size rifle I don't think that will have much affect on the price being different between models.

Consider looking at the TX as well I have shot the HW and many like it over the TX but I think the TX suits me better and I like the user friendly design that makes it easy to work on yourself without special tools or spring compressors.

When it comes to airguns it can be very confusing till you learn all the little differences that can affect price. Everything from having a brass trigger to being a non-FAC rifle versus FAC model. FAC - Is UK speak for Firearm Certificate, a special license needed in the UK for pellet rifle that produce over 12 ft lbs of power which is their legal limit without a FAC.

In all honesty it would be best if you can find a airgun club you can visit to see about trying out some different rifles before buying one sight unseen much less unshot. Tonight I have a new potential club member coming over to shoot my S400ERB PCP and the TX200 to decide which one he will get. Being able to do that type of testing is a big plus.

Here are some links to Field Target clubs in NY. Not sure what is close to you but they also have a few clubs in PA.

http://www.hpcutlery.com/ft.html

http://ateam.100free.com/EFTCC_FT.htm

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

air rifle

Post by ppkny »

Dee, Great info, and thanks for the help. I'm leaning towards the TX200 right now and there are a few guys in the area that have them. They prefer it over the Beeman. Most of our shooting starts around March for outdoor so I still have time to research.
Thanks for the club info.
ppkny
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

What is optimum barrel length for an air rifle? Rimfires only need 14.5", and in high power the rule is "the longer the better", but what about air rifles? Is it different for PCP and springer?
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I had a hw 77 years ago in a carbine....might be what the call a 97 now ? Beeman sure aint what they were years ago
1armoured
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 1armoured »

I don't know about 'optimum', but the minimum appears to be just under 10" , for spring powered rifles, as in the Air Arms Pro Sport and TX200 Carbine.

The Standard length TX200 is just over 13" .

The Air Arms rifles are very accurate.

The longer barrel seems to increase pellet speed by about 20 to 30 fps,
but it could be power plant related.

The optimal length of a barrel is also determined by it's twist rate, the pellet used, and the caliber, so one size doesn't fit all.
There is also optimum accuracy against optimum velocity !
Older spring rifles had longer barrels for open sight radius.

Falcon PCP barrels were originally offered in 19" length,
and 12" carbine,
and later a version in 24" .

If you look at all the different PCP specs, you will see many and varied lengths offered. Very confusing.

I guess some are chosen to relate to the rifles power and the length of the air cylinder,
and the ergonomics of the rifle.
You don't want it reaching out half way to the target, now, or do you ?

Maybe that's why I'm heading for a nice quiet spot in the 'house for the confused'.

cheers,
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

Spring air rifles can get by with very short barrels, PCP's get more power out of their longer barrels. Carbine versions of spring air rifle have no influence on performance or accuracy. The only thing you may notice is a slight increase in cocking effort with the short versions. To be honest I'd be surprised you can find anyone offering a Carbine and full length HW97 as I am pretty sure they are only available now as the Mk3 (which I think is a carbine).

The TX200 is available in full length and hunter carbine form. Both very accurate rifles. The TX and HW97 are both very nice spring rifles and near the top of the bunch. If you are going to shoot a spring gun make it one of these ones. Both can be improved with a tune up which usually involve new spring tar, custom sized seal and spring guides and a polish and debur. The TX is subtantially smoother out of the box than the HW in my experience but both can be made equally nice. The trigger on the TX is easier to make nice.

The PCP rifles get more power and greater number of shots out of the longer barrels. Be aware than PCP's are MUCH easier to shoot accurately than a spring gun. Spring guns take a lot of practice to learn to shoot them accurately consistently, but it can be done.

Hope thats some helpful info. Lots of good info on the James Kitchings Network54 airgun forums so if you want you can do a google search to find it.

Cheers, Shandy
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

Also, stay away from the cheesy, crappy cheap Beemans. If you stay with the quality german made rifles ie. the HW line made by Weihrauch and rebadged by Beeman to sell under their own name (the R series eg R1, R9, R7 etc) you will end up with a quality rifle.

All the other stuff like the GS and whatever the others are listed under are just very cheap, poor quality rifles. Stay away from them, better to buy a used R series.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

air rifle

Post by ppkny »

Thanks for all the help, I'm going with the Air Arms TX200. It's in my price range and I can't find anyone that has had any major problems.
Now I'm looking for a scope that's reasonably priced ($200/$250) that will have enough mag for silhouette but make the weight combo. The TX200 will weigh in at 9.3 to 9.6 that leaves me with about 1.6 to 1.4 for the scope/rings to make 11 lbs. max. Any suggestions?
ppkny
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

Nice, the TX is a lovely rifle and I especially like the new (current) stock. If you can stretch for the walnut stock Air Arms has some lovely wood on their rifles so for me the extra $50 or so is WELL worth it.

Regarding scopes. Depends what power scope you want. You will need to choose a strong scope designed to take the recoil of a spring airgun and also one that will focus down to the ranges you shoot silhouette with as a minimum. Most people look for a scope that can focus at full power down to 10m. The TX is a mild recoiler, even better when tuned but you will still need to have a suitable scope as a normal scope will probably break on it.

If I was to reel off a list of airgun suitable scopes that focus to 10m then here would be some good candidates:
Leupold EFR 6.5-20X (~$530)
Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24X or 8-32X (~$400)
Bushnell Legend 5-15X (~$150-check for target turrets though)
Simmons 44mag 6.5-20X (discontinued but plenty of used ones out there ~$100)
Simmons ATV 4.5-14X (discontinued, but you may find one ~$70)
You also might consider one of the Swift scopes but it's been a while since I looked into them.
Hawke also make a pretty decent airgun scope from what I have read but I have no first hand experience.

I know most are above your price range but it's a start on what to look for. A good scope is important and you do need a strong scope for a spring gun. If you can stretch it the Bushnells are great.

On the cheaper end, the Leapers scopes seem to get OK reviews but are probably realistically worth what you pay for them and they are kind of heavy. But they are cheap. In regards to repeatability I can't comment on them. My opinion is still to get one of the better scopes.

Good luck, hope you can find something suitable.
Shandy
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

scopes

Post by ppkny »

Shandy, Thanks for the info. I'll do my homework and decide which meets my requirements for $/weight.
ppkny