Shot Show 2009

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Shot Show 2009

Post by Bob259 »

Lots of neat stuff here:

http://lundestudio.com/2009SHOTShow/
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Neat stuff and neat people!!!
Should of come out of the cold and down to our cold mid 40's in Orlando Bob. What's another air matress on the floor and wee hours of the morning chatter over a few beers....and my fresh squeezed OJ over vodka.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Innocent wrote:Neat stuff and neat people!!!
Should of come out of the cold and down to our cold mid 40's in Orlando Bob. What's another air matress on the floor and wee hours of the morning chatter over a few beers....and my fresh squeezed OJ over vodka.

Innocent
Sounds great Mary and would love too... unfortunately with this elder care I'm giving to my Mom I can't even get away to shoot or do anything anymore. :(

We won't even talk about her wanting the heat set at 85 degrees in the house :shock:
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Bob, you both have my sympathy! Kim likes it about 60, I like it about 70.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

My apologies (I've promised myself NOT to argue on the 'net) but I have a hard time with links like that above.
It starts with an almost-lead-in set of photos extolling Cooper Firearms (NOT my favorite mfg at this time for some reason) and segues immediately into cr*p for the never-went, wouldn't go, wannabe commando...with a VERY short mention of Anschutz. Unless I missed something, it showed almost nothing of interest to those of us who aren't make-believe Delta ops and want to see sporting equipment...

Does anyone know of anything new/different/interesting announced or shown at SHOT that would be of value to silhouette?
E Kuney
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pistolero45 »

make-believe Delta ops
I've never fired a Cooper, and never been to a SHOT show, but I think Nomad has hit upon something here.

It seems a large segment of the shooting industry has become geared towards "tactical" or "military" type of equipment. I like to call the folks who purchase and use this type of stuff: Wanna-Be-People-Killers.

A great example is the shooting experience my daughter and I had at the public shooting range today. We were out there to break in her new CZ 452 American, and did our practice on the 50 yard range.

Sure enough, two guys set up next to us with handguns. These were black semi-automatics with high capacity magazines. The shooters had black kydex holsters and mag holders. These dead eye dicks put up human silhouette targets at 50 yards and proceeded to empty magazine after magazine rapid fire style. Of the 200 rounds (four boxes) of ammo expended, one fellow hit his target twice, while his buddy was able to find a half dozen holes.

So what is the solution? I have no idea. But I am happy to report that the new CZ American is a joy to shoot! Plus we, unlike our neighbors today, actually hit our targets. :)
Mark
Gator
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Gator »

nomad wrote:Does anyone know of anything new/different/interesting announced or shown at SHOT that would be of value to silhouette?
I must agree with this line of reasoning. Ernie summed it up.

The last gun show I attended was in Florida in 1992 or 3. Bradys & Clintons were gathering steam and gun shows were taking the hit. In fact, this show was primarily loaded with AR
1armoured
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 1armoured »

Looks like the American public are getting ready for war ?
Against whom, I might ask ?

When you live outside the country, one wonders the mentality !

I'd have thought that there would be a separate show for military arms buyers, so as not to confuse us sporting shooters.

I see no mention of the new Anschutz front locking centrefire in .223 (for a start caliber, I guess !)

All in all, it must have been a sight spectacular.
I guess 'Ducky' was there playing with all the toys, and begging 'alms' !

cheers,
Sean in 'Godzone'
Eric-WD
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Eric-WD »

and proceeded to empty magazine after magazine rapid fire style. Of the 200 rounds (four boxes) of ammo expended, one fellow hit his target twice, while his buddy was able to find a half dozen holes

Isn't it wonderful that we live in a country where two men can still enjoy their afternoon blowing away 100 rounds of ammo each and being able to afford it and enjoy it. shame they couldn't hit the target while doing it.

Eric
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

1armoured wrote:Looks like the American public are getting ready for war ?
Against whom, I might ask ?

When you live outside the country, one wonders the mentality !

I'd have thought that there would be a separate show for military arms buyers, so as not to confuse us sporting shooters.

I see no mention of the new Anschutz front locking centrefire in .223 (for a start caliber, I guess !)

All in all, it must have been a sight spectacular.
I guess 'Ducky' was there playing with all the toys, and begging 'alms' !

cheers,
Sean in 'Godzone'
Sometimes, those inside the country wonder too...

It was interesting to see those pictures, but I'm anxious to see some of the other stuff, too.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
unkmike7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by unkmike7 »

We are fighting a war...Our goverment is trying to disarm us - And Then!! Only the bad guys wiill have guns - Does that sound fimiliar??..
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Having attended this shot show I will say that I was disappointed in the layout from the previous shows that I have attended. It appeared to be set up by someone who knew nothing about firearms or the industry, as there was a mixture of 'tactical' with precision, historical and other plinking verisions of the sport.

While I agree that we need to moderate the image that is being projected by the so called 'gun enthusiasts', i.e. the all black or camo/high capacity waste the ammo while not hitting anything, stand inline for an hour to get a model to autograph a poster, I was interested to see the number of smaller groups gearing towards women and involving them in the sport.

There was even a distinct difference amoung those groups, with some totally focusing on the 'softer side', i.e. target shooting, hunting and fishing and the dress in pink camo with the total focus being on burn as many rounds as you can and don't pay attention to what you hit.

While I have not pulled up the link originally posted (on dial up a home still) I can imagine what has been put up on the web as I observed some of the 'interviews' being taped and produced live while there. Again, I feel that what was being chosen to be put up was totally driven by the press that were present.

Yes, one of the Annie distrubitors was at the show, with two of Deiters sons, and they did have the new .223 on display. I did not get a lot of time to look at the products, being the 'bus/meal' coordinator but I did find that Birchwood Casey is now producing the Shoot N See's in a package of silhouette animals.

I do not have the full details of what Coates worked out with Air Force Air guns and the manufacturing of BKL but there was some willingness to listen to some of the requests that he has heard over the years. Their inital interest is in the air gun side/heavy duty double strap mounts.

As to the image that is being presented by the press....I'm not sure what the answer is, I have seen this going on for a while as I have an employee that weekends in the gun show business as well as Coates doing that on school breaks. The overall ignorance is amazing.

Mary

Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Sounds great Mary and would love too... unfortunately with this elder care I'm giving to my Mom I can't even get away to shoot or do anything anymore.
Bob, Hang in there, you will not regret it. Been there twice with my parents and while it may have changed the career paths that I took, it was worth the time. Besides, it sounds like she has the same motto I have....live long enough to be as big a pain to my son as he was to me coming into this world!!! :lol:
Mary

dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

Maybe we should have taken up a collection and paid Innocent to take pictures of the stuff we like!
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Dave,
Anyone can be bought, but I doubt that there is enough money from this silhouette crowd to buy me....now as for pictures, I will admit that there was a lot of law enforcement and tactical displays, the manufacturers seems to play to the buying market.

In listening to the dealers and the employee that I have (as well as Coates) who are weekending at the shows, what is selling is frightening and the attitude and knowledge of those buying is even more disturbing.

Sean from NZ is correct, we are gearing up for a war, revolutionary or civil or whatever you want to call it. This is where most of the silhouette shooters will do fine, in that they have done what Teddy R tried to do when he set up the DCM/CMP...train the average American to be a better shot.

Innocent