Hawke Sidewinder30 ir Scopes

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
1armoured
A Poster
A Poster

Hawke Sidewinder30 ir Scopes

Post by 1armoured »

I have just purchased a 30mm tube Hawke 4-16x50 sidefocus with red or green illuminated reticle.

These are pretty unique in that they have a new design of reticle, which is meant to assist in both judging distance to target and holdover required.

The scope user has free software available which maps out the trajectory and aimpoints as defined by the user, as well as providing all sorts of relevant data, along the way.
Very interesting, and fun to play with, esp if you are technologically bent, (or even just bent !).

The software is avalable as a free download from the Hawke sight, and can be used to calculate any trajectory data for any scope/rifle/ammo combination, and not just the Hawke SR6 or SR12 reticles. You just need to discard that which is irrelevant. There are presets for a number of different calibers.

It's not only meant for airguns, but I have fitted it to my .177 Air Arms TX200 Mk III, and I will use it for Field Target, for which it is primarily designed for, as the targets are placed at various undeclared distances out to about 55/60 yards.

It's obviously now heavier than the Barska 3-12x setup that I had on before, but the weight is centred, so not too bad. I'll get used to it, I'm sure.

The 4-16 fits very well. Part of my decision to purchase.
I don't need more than 16x at air rifle distances,
also my range calculations are reasonable, and the TX FAC is pretty flat shooting.
It has nice positive turrets, that lock, when not being lifted to turn and adjust.
Reasonable size side-wheel, that slides on across the IR dial switch. (Red and Green)
Bit wobbly, but it does the job without any slip.
Focusing adjustments are pretty fine at 16x. Very narrow field of focus, so might help a bit in getting the distances to the targets spot on. Time will tell.
Included in the display at bottom left, from 7 O'clock is the 'range finding bracketing system',
to estimate distance for a known size target, e.g. a 3" kill-zone FT target (easy to calculate a half or third derivative.)

You will notice that the front of the bell fits dead in line with the rear of the loading port,
and it looks pretty.
It's on 'high' 30mm ring mounts, and fits nice and snug, with an arrester pin 'arresting' it,
2" off the barrel centre, with just a bit spare to fit the supplied front 'flip-up' lens cap.

All good so far.
I will need to fit some sort of support, though, (called a 'Hamster' by the Brits), so I can rest the weight on my knee.

There is quite a bit of clutter in the 'heads up' display, which takes a bit of getting used to,
but I'm getting there.
At the end of it, I managed to bowl over .22rimfire silhouette chickens and pigs at 40 and 60mtrs offhand with it which was very pleasing. Not bad for a .177 springer rig, but I doubt I will be using it for silhouette, (it weighs a ton). I have the Air Arms ProSport for that.

I have plenty of free time at the moment, so downloaded the software, and put it through it's paces, and also managed to take some pics.

Impressive screen displays and colour, (I just love colour graphs and charts.... Must be my accounts/stats/economics and computing background ! )

As it calculates and displays, (metric or imperial), it also gives you the opportunity to print out stickers of the results to stick on your forehead, back of your hand, or wherever, as reference. You can even choose the size of the label that you want to print.

You can click on any part of your trajectory, and a pop-up window gives you ballistic/energy data at that point. Very clever ! (e.g. You can see what sort of headache it will deliver to a bunny at 50yds/mtrs !)

Only thing that gave me a bit of headscratching was the 'ED' data to enter in. (Effective Deterioration)..... Never heard of it ???
I managed to figure that is was BC, and the difference in velocity at two given points, related.
I used trajectory software to check the required data, inputting my muzzle velocity, pellet weight and BC, (plenty of info on the web) etc, and the software did it's calculation thingy, and all was sweet.

So far, I'm impressed with the Hawke, and itching to get to shoot it at some FT targets in anger. Maybe in a couple weeks.

Value for money ?
It's pretty unique, so hard to put a value on it.
There are a lot of different scopes out there. Some half the price, some double.

If you like innovation and quality, and enjoy fiddling on computers, then you can't go wrong with the Hawke Sidewinder30 and SR.
There are a number of different models and reticles available. milldot, or SR6/SR12, (depending on model).

Some pics;

Well Packaged scope;

TX in it's Flambeau hardcase;

Closeup of the scope on the rifle;

Images of some of the Software Output;

Hawke Optics site;

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/riflescopes/ ... /index.php

cheers,
Sean in 'Godzone'
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

TX200

Post by ppkny »

1armoured, I'd be interested what your complete setup weighs. My new TX200 is coming tomorrow. I went with a AirForce 4x16 and one piece Leaper mounts. I'm trying to stay under 11 lbs. for silhouette and also use it for field target. Thanks if you know your weight.
ppkny
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Looks like it would be a winner, if it holds up well.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
1armoured
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 1armoured »

Bob, always depends on where it sits in the price range, I guess.

I got a good deal on mine which made it a bit more attractive to buy.

All up weight ?
Sorry but I don't have any scales.
Factory gives weight as 9.3lbs, and scope is listed as 25.1 ozs.

That's 10lbs 13.9ozs.

so with mounts mine should be sitting just over 11lbs.

The Leapers scope is listed at 19.5ozs, and the one-piece mounts should be 5 or 6 ozs, which should put the combo just under the 11lbs.
Good luck !

I find it a bit too heavy and weight forward, for me, for silhouette.
My Air Arms ProSport is more suited for the little critters.
I'm up to 30/40 with it after my first 2 matches shooting it.

cheers,
Sean in 'Godzone'
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

TX200

Post by ppkny »

Thanks, My gun came today and weighs in exactly like they said at 9.3 lbs. The scope is 21.3 oz. and the mounts are 5.2 oz. for a total weight of 10 lbs. 13.5 oz.