Flying with firearms

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Flying with firearms

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

This year my shooting partner and I are flying down to the Arizona State HP in April. We got real cheap tickets that made the 12 hour drive look like a dumb thing to do. I have not flown with guns before. Dave B. lent me his heavy duty aluminum travel case for the trip.

I "borrowed" some inch thick firm foam from work and shadow boxed two layers into the case. Hopefully this will protect the rifles from careless baggage handlers. The total weight shown came to 40.5 lbs.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z94/BOBMCALICE/case/

Anyone have horror stories to share?..... Advice?
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

I've took a few pictures for Innocent of her cases that the airline raped...I put my guns in one of these when I fly...

http://www.strongcasebytnb.com/Rilfe_Pistol.html

The two gun model...After a few years the outside looks like it's been drug behind the truck for a few miles, but all the airlines managed to do is knock the wheels off of it (3 times) which are available as a replacement...Flying with guns has never brought me any undue attention, even when I landed at New York's La Guardia Airport with the aforementioned case with two rifles, and 300 rounds of 6.5X47L and a brick of eley in my luggage....Makes it kind of hard to believe in a security system that lets me land in New York city on the 4th of July with all that hardware......

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
blueline
B Poster
B Poster

Post by blueline »

Bob we look forward to having you out. I think I would make one of your shoots in July or August...

Check with the airline you are flying to see there interpertation of the rules, Some require TSA locks and some will not allow them at all. Each airline is different. I generally keep both just in case. I have sold the cases with TSA locks on the case and the clients had a lot of greef with one airline. Just check with them beforehand and all will go well..
Though I have been through Fire & Water, He has lead me to a place of abundance.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

I have flown many times with firearms. While I have lost several Kalispel cases due to damage, I might add that all of the damage was doen when flying into the Northeast, no matter whether it was PA or NY. I have not had any serious function damage done to the rifles, in the Kalipsel cases.
I have not had problems yet flying into or out of the West (AZ, NM, CO, WA, OR, TX). Most Southwest agents are relatively firearm friendly...ie either non committal or are shooters themselves. Bigger issues have been with TSA and you are required to stay with the firearms until they have cleared TSA so I usually watch to make sure they put things back in the case properly. I can attest to watching several TSA people removing ties from luggage and putting it their drawers, so staying with the firearms is not an issue. Just plan on the extra time checking in.
Ammo can be interesting depending on how the TSA agent decides to read the rules, my suggestion is put it in factory boxes, no matter whether you reload or not, try to wrap it so that they do not want to open it...ie with bubble wrap. I usually pack two bricks of 22 and tell them that is two boxes, most do not know any better. Make sure the ammo is in a seperate hard locked case. I do not use the TSA locks, instead I offer my keys willingly and try to remain extremely polite despite the complete stupidity of most of the TSA agents when it comes to firearms.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Byron
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Byron »

Bob:

I have flown 5 times with firearms in the last 2 years and have had only one problem. The frist time I used a cheaper case and it didn't take the normal wear and tear very well. I bought a Hardig Storm Case and have had no problems with the better case. Make sure you buy a case that fits under the normal baggage size requirements. The extra charge for an oversize bag is around 100 dollars on most airlines. Most of the time they don't measure but 100 dollars is a 100 dollars.

Byron
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Bob, I have flown many times with rifles and ammo. Be aware most airlines require the ammo to be in the factory boxes and not in the same case as the rifle. Don't forget to declare you have ammo packed.

We have ordered some nice weather for the match. You won't need your olng underwear. Don't forget sunscreen. You are kinda white.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Holy crap....$100. for an oversize package? Had not planned on that. The case measures 16 x 52 x 6. I will call the airline to check on rules and terms. I am shipping the ammo and range box two weeks ahead.

10-4 on the sunscreen, Jerry. Thanks....paleface Bob. :)