Boy its quiet in here

This is what we do.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Boy its quiet in here

Post by kevinpagano »

All you small bore guys are quiet. I just picked up a Lones Wigger CD Rom on "Winning in the Wind". Anybody know of any other instructional cds or tapes that are good for Silhouette shooting?

Kevin
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

There are several good books.
I've got Lanny Bassham's set of tapes. I play one of them in the car now and then. They're a little like having "With Winning in Mind" read to you but he has some good stories and lots of good advice. Funny how hard it is, at least for me, to take the most simple advice, like: "Forget the negative things. Think about and talk about only the good things that happen in practice and in matches. You shotgun shooters are the worst. Ask a guy how he did:'Missed two. Shot right behind one and shot under the other.' He HIT 98! This is just crazy, people. Stop it!"
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Alston, thanks for the advice on the tapes. I think I have seen those down at Neals gunsmithing. And yes shotgunners are the worst when complaining about missing a target and a 98 is still a good score. usually wont win you anything but a good score. Does anyone know about some stuff on the mechanics of silhouette shooting, with video etc.

Kevin
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

For mechanics, it's hard to beat "Ways of the Rifle," an expensive book, translated from German, on three position shooting. It has hundreds of photographs and VERY detailed explanations of every aspect of position and mechanics. It's the kind of thing you could re-read for years and still find new insights. Still, I'm not entirely sure you couldn't do just as well with Pullam's "New Position Rifle Shooting" or any other book that describes the standing position in enough detail to get you started training.
Tubb's "Highpower Rifle" is excellent. I haven't yet sprung for the new edition. I understand he mentions silhouette in at least some detail in the new one.
I have often thought that I need to scout around and find a good coach. There just isn't any substitute for having very specific ideas about what, exactly, we're trying to do.
I don't know any silhouette-specific book.
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

AJJ,
If you want coaching, call me!
My fees are reasonable and I'll have you shooting high B -- or maybe even low A -- scores in no time!
(I can GUARANTEE success...look how well it's worked for me!)
8)
E Kuney
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Nomad is a bad man. Which is to say, a good man. Modest, too. He'll rear up and win a match now and again...I've seen him do it. He coaches me all the time without even knowing it.
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

AJJ,

Your shameless, are you working on winning the BS award at winnie next year so soon, you'll burn out
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

What about my shameless? Did you mean "you're?"
Sorry, Dawg, I got carrried away.
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

AJJ,

never got that grammer thing.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Don't worry, buddy. Your sense of humor seems to be intact. That's the important thing.
CB
B Poster
B Poster

Instructional stuff?

Post by CB »

I've probably got about as extensive a library of shooting books as any obsessive compulsive person anywhere, and with that said in the "Techniques" section of this forum is an article on air rifle practice and position that pretty well says it all. Ain't no secrets. I'm starting to notice observing top shooters that though no two are exactly alike, the similarities are striking. Some twist more, some less, knuckles and palm held and finger tips all used as left hand support. Some more open, some wide stance, some narrow.
One thing I've found does stand out prominently amoung them all however. They all work on their game relentlessly, and have over an extended period of time. Their position is uniquely theirs because of hours of practice, take what you will from others but in the end it must become your own to the extent that you're convinced it's the best there is out there for you.
As far as training aids, think outside the box!! This game is 90% mental, the other 50% is physical. The greatest wealth of knowledge in terms of "sports psychology" and performing under pressure will be found in sports where the most money is on the line. The mental aspects are one and the same.
Keep em in the center,
Carroll