6x20 efr question again

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
old sparky
B Poster
B Poster

6x20 efr question again

Post by old sparky »

I have a 6.5x20 question again. I have this set up on a CZ 452 CZ rings on 11 mm dovetail. I am shooting SK plus and it is shooting confirmed groups on paper under MOA at 100 meters. Heres my problem I got everything all set up confirmed my scope settings. The day before last months shoot I go out to check things starting at chickens moving toward rams all goes well get to rams and I cant get enough elevation. I am shooting bellow the rail. I start thinking I have a mount problem. Didn't see anything wrong. But I am thinking my last sight setting didn't take. I tap on my scope turrets with a plastic handle and still no movement when I shoot. So I turn my elevation all the way down and start over. Now I have plenty of elevation at the rams. Next days shoot goes well. Now we are at this month My scope setting is at -0- for chickens and I am starting on turkeys. During practice I shoot a couple at the chicken slighter and am on. For pigs my setting is 2.25 I go to 2.25 past it 4 clicks bring it back down to 2.25 take a few shots at the slighter and am on. I move to turkey I need 3.5 I move my scope setting 4 clicks past back down to 3.5 and am on. Match starts I knock over 8 turkeys and figure its a glorious day. Move rams I need to move my setting to 9 moa I go past 4 clicks and back down to 9 I shoot at my first ram and am a foot low. I move my turret up 2 moa next shot no movement , I finally move up max and am still bellow the rail. Anything wrong with my scope adjusting procedure or do I need to send the scope back. Oh and it is a new scope. Any theory's
Thanks Sparky
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: 6x20 efr question again

Post by Bob259 »

My first thoughts were you had forgot your true zero and went one revolution to far.... now from the sounds of it maybe not. The only time I had that problem was on one rifle that I had to get a set of the angled mounts for, but all mine now are just std mounts. Are you sure you are not past the end of the adjustment range when you are at the Rams? Sounds to me like you are going past the adjustment range at times because it's so close to the max elevation adjustment.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Sparky, I agree with Bob, I think you are at the upper edge of elevation limit on rams. Shim the rear of you scope with a piece of credit card and I'll bet the problem goes away. You could also try swapping ends with the rings but I doubt if they would be off enough to help.
old sparky
B Poster
B Poster

Post by old sparky »

Thanks, I guess I can get some of the Burris signanature offset 20 moa rings. I will be glad to get this fixed. I have made changes the last 3 months. I gotta quit changing stuff. But then I need to get my boy a rifle.
thanks all, Sparky
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

Sparky
20 min. angle rings are not required, all you have to do is shim the rear ring you already have with a piece off a business card. This will work great and not damage the scope.
Evelio.
Evelio
old sparky
B Poster
B Poster

Post by old sparky »

I cant put a shim or card under the base its a dovetail. If I put it under the rear ring I wont damage the scope? If not I guess I'll give it a shot.
thanks, Sparky
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

old sparky wrote:I cant put a shim or card under the base its a dovetail. If I put it under the rear ring I wont damage the scope? If not I guess I'll give it a shot.
thanks, Sparky
Nope, every one is talking about putting it under the scope inside the lower rear ring, this works great. One other way, if you want to spend more money, is Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts, but just some card stock, shim stock or for that matter even a piece of soda can or plastic milk bottle should do the trick for you.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Most high power scopes have limited movement available in their erector assemblies and when you get close to the maximum range the spring tension sometimes is not enough to move the erector the required amount to get the input desired. The shim will help with the problem....One other thing that goes to wack is optical clarity as you move away from the sweet spot in the scope tube.....I shim even if I do not need to just to keep the movements crisp and the erector in the sweet spot to maximize my scope clarity.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

keep the movements crisp and the erector in the sweet spot
Keeping your erector in the sweet spot....has a certain nice ring to it, doesn't it??

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

LOL...see what happens when ammo supplies run low.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

You boys behave on this side of the berm.....Kitty will I see you in Austin?
Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Innocent,

Yep, me and the kid will be making the drive down...Staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Elgin, TX, which they tell me is the closest to the range...You you stayin??

Lookin forward to seeing everyone again...been a long, wet, cold winter..

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Gotta visit my cousin in Bryan/Ausitn (depending on where the kid is swimming) on Friday night...will be there sometime Friday but will be in HI Express Sat., back to Houston Sunday night...too late notice to change flights reasonably and have early morning flights Monday.

See you there.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
old sparky
B Poster
B Poster

Post by old sparky »

I put a business card shim under the rear ring and it worked great.
Thanks for the help, Sparky
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Two pieces of a budwiser can work great in the bottom of the back ring. First one on the bottom should only cover about 1/3 of the bottom ring and the next one should cover about 1/2 or just a little more of the bottom ring. I guess it doesn't have to be a bud can, one from your favorite drink would do just fine.