Leupold or Sightron???

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
steelisreal
Unclassified Poster

Leupold or Sightron???

Post by steelisreal »

As a new smallbore silhouette shooter I am looking to upgrade my equipment....starting with a new scope. I have narrowed the choices down to a Leupold FX-3 25x40 Silhouette with 1/2 min dot or a Sightron SII Big Sky 6-24x42 Silhouette with a 1/2 min dot. Has anyone used both of these models? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I am currently using a Bushnell Banner 6-18x50.

Thank you for any information.
John
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Leupold or Sightron???

Post by Innocent »

Leupold has the longer history of production, but both companies have excellent warranty on their products. If you have a longer neck then the Sightron will have to mount higher due to the 42mm, but then that is only 2mm so typically is not an issue with regards to mounting.

Look through both, especially up close (50 yards or so) and see which fits your eyes better.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Also keep in mind that a 25x scope might be too much magnification for someone just starting out in silhouette. I use a fixed 24x scope and I'd occasionally like to be able to turn it down to 18 or 20 or so even after shooting silhouette for over three years now. I haven't used one of latest generation Sightron scopes, but I have used one of the Leupold FXIII 25x scopes. It was very nice, with excellent glass and low weight. I didn't use it long enough to be able to give conclusive feedback on whether the adjustment system was precise and consistent, but I've heard good things about it. The Sightron system is second-to-none in this category, though, and that's very important for silhouette shooting.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

I have both and the Leupold is hands down better. Better glass, smaller, clearer, lighter and it uses quarter minute clicks. The Sightron will focus closer, so if you have any interest in air rifle silhouette it will work where the FX3 won't, and the eighth minute clicks may be better suited for that.

But I agree that you might be better served by something like the VXII 6-18x40. Great glass without the really high magnification. I really regret selling mine.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ