Need a PCP companion to an ANS 1712

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
AK Rev
B Poster
B Poster

Need a PCP companion to an ANS 1712

Post by AK Rev »

I'm wanting to setup a PCP for practice at home that approximates my incoming 1712. The 1712 is not scoped yet and I would like to have the same setup for both rifles. I currently have a Beeman R7 with 3-9x Bushnell air scope that I got as a combo from StraightShooters several years ago. It works fine but isn't setup to approximate silhouette.

I saw on this forum that the Air Arms S400ERB was recommended. That looks good. Any other thoughts on that or another option as a companion to the 1712?

As to scopes, I have thought of the Weaver T24 or Leupold FX3. However, the VXIII in 6.5-20x is also a consideration that would allow me to work up to magnification. I haven't spent a lot of time with high magnification offhand. That's part of the reason for wanting a setup for home indoor practice.

So, I look forward to your thoughts on this. Photos of your setups (both gun and home range) are also helpful. I've read most of the archived posts here but feel free to point me in the right direction. I know that BB recently went through some of the same questions, so I'm curious as to his comments at this time.

Thanks much!
AK Rev
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Need a PCP companion to an ANS 1712

Post by AK Rev »

At this point, I'm leaning towards the 6.5-20x EFR for both rifles. Haven't made up my mind on the 3/8 vs. 1/2 dot. Any advice there?
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Hard to get an air gun to approximate a hunter class smallbore, but there are many more posters here much more qualified to speak to air guns than I...I shoot an Anschutz 2002CA and it is a great crosstrainer..A word to scopes, though..put the same scope on all your silhouette rifles...Do that and your target will be the same relative size for air gun, smallbore, and highpower...just my 2 cents FWIW..

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
AK Rev
B Poster
B Poster

Post by AK Rev »

Thanks Kitty. If I wasn't clear about it, I purposely planned on putting the same scope on both rifles.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

AK Rev, I like the larger dot, but that is truly a matter of personal preference. Ditto on the same scope for the different rifles and you will not be sorry with a Lupy 6.5 X20.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

I've already preached about the Leupold 6.5x20 EFR for versatility. A great choice! Expensive, but definitely see where the money went. A lower cost alternative is the VXII 6-18x40 Target, but if you want a target dot in something besides the .25 MOA Leupold has to do a retical change. It costs $69 last time I checked and you pick the retical, just budget the cost.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

ak, i'd have to agree on the AA 410 erb, i think you'd be real happy with the 410. i was looking for the same thing and am going to buy the AirArms becuase of the higher comb on the stock. it seems to have the highest comb of any of the pcp airrifles out there and that would be one of my determing factors, the trigger is a two stage a fully adjustable as well.
"The bench proves the rifle, standing proves the man" Harry Pope. 6.5's for LIFE
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

I have the cal22 AA400 with a walnut thumbhole stock, and a cal177 with standard walnut stock. I think they are pretty similar to the 1710/12. I shoot mine indoors for practice at low power, and it puts them in the same hole at 10M. I actually think the trigger is better on the AA than the Anschutz. On low power in 22 caliber, I get around 100 shots to a fill. In my opinion, the AA400 is the same quality as the 1700 series rifles.