CCI Standard Velocity

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

CCI Standard Velocity

Post by mordecai »

I see CCI Standard Velocity is about 25% less than Wolf/SK...

What's the story on this stuff out of a stock 54 barreled action... as good, or worse than Wolf/SK? Or this Eley Target I just saw?
ImageImage
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: CCI Standard Velocity

Post by Jason »

I have tried CCI standard velocity in an old lot and a new lot. Neither shot as well as Wolf/SK in warm weather, but I bet it probably would in cold weather due to Wolf losing velocity and a lot of accuracy for me in cold weather. If you come up to the Machias match on Sunday, you can try it for yourself. :)
caseyboy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by caseyboy »

My Walther UIT (altered to make hunter class) loves it. :mrgreen:
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I got a case of the paper box CCI SV last year that shoots very well in my 1712. I weighed out some and they are very consistent, when firing they don't have any discernable velocity variance though I never shot it over my chrony. It shoots under 1" @ 100y on occasion but usually in the 1.5" or so size range, I have not done a lot of testing with it off the bench but I do not have any problems with Rams or Turkeys if I do my part. For the money it is good ammo IMO and I will probably get another case in a month or so as I am down to 4 bricks left over. Got some SK to try and if it is much better I may get some to use for matches and save the CCI for practice but I don't think it is holding my back I've put up several 31/40 using it at the end of last year having just got the rifle. One of my shooting associates gives me crap for shooting such cheap ammo out of such a expensive rifle but he uses Lapua that runs about $8-9 a box and has never put up a 31 yet with it ;) I already had the CCI but I do plan to use better ammo if justified. IMO when you start getting into the high AAA low Master or want to make Master you need every last shot to count and can't be questioning the ammo. Besides if you have almost 3K invested in a rifle whats a few more bucks on ammo.

Here is a pic of 5 shots when I 1st got the rifle and mounted my scope. Right before dark shooting off a shaky homemade black and decker workmate bench using a sleeping bag for a rear rest. This is at the Chicken distance. 1st five shot group with this rifle after zero was set and before skeeters started carrying me off :-l

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

I guess what I'm worried about is whether this is their $15/brick ammo (ie, Blazer) at $30/brick prices or is this a step up from Blazer, Sidewinder, etc...
ImageImage
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I went through almost a case of Blazer with my CZ and while it was good ammo for practice I find the SV to be better. They are not the same round reboxed. Although both the Blazer and the SV can have 2 different bullets in them. Some are the ringed style and the other are the smooth sided bullets. IIRC one is a CCI bullet and the other is a Federal bullet but I forget which is which, the Fed may be the ringed one. The Fed is supposed to be the better of the two but I found both shot good for me. The Blazer was on $98 a case delivered lol the CCI was $279. Blazer is definetly a bit hot around 1200 fps compared to the SV. Get a brick and give it a try for the money you can't come out to bad and it may just shoot like Tenex in your rifle :-o

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

Right now inexpensive standard velocity rounds like CCI are hard to find online. I found a couple of cases at a shop for 250 each. I have some RWS and wolf stashed away for matches. I can't believe the prices and lack of availability. Dicks had some Winchester match, but it had copper jacket, so I passed.
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

I bought a brick of CCI Standard Velocity .22 ammo last month and applied alox to the bullets. I finally got a chance to shoot 10 shot groups at 100 meters with my Schneider-barrelled Rem. 40X and my Lilja-barrelled Sako Finnfire. The temperature was approximately 55 Deg. F, with a 5-10 mph wind running SW to NE at Tucson's 3-Points range.

The Sako Finnfire produced a 10-shot group that ran 2 inches horizonatally and 3/4 inch vertically. I then took the 40X and proceeded to shoot a group that went 1-1/4 inches horizontally and 3/4 vertically. I suspect the 10-shot group fired with the Finnfire went a little wider due to the 2 lb trigger pull with almost no overtravel. This will be corrected next weekend. I also think minute variations in wind velocity, as the wind tends to "fishtail" had a slight effect on the horizontal dispersion.

I shot 2 40-shot matches with this ammo and all shots-hits and misses, went where I called them, as I verifyied them with my spotter, May Warren.
In light of the ever-increasing cost of Wolf, SK and other brands, I'll keep using this ammo for regular monthly matches, since both my rifles like it. Now, if I could only find another brick of the stuff around Tucson...
Joaquin B
Ralph
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ralph »

My Evelio 1712 likes CCI SV. I have it in both paper and plastic. My only complaint is the paper box CCI SV has too much wax on the bullets. WMT and Sk+ is more accurate but CCI SV is good enough for me. Some people at HRPC like to shoot CCI SV at the near targets and something else at the far targets.

My club shoots a lot of .22 ammo at paper targets and CCI SV Paper Box is by far the most popular ammo.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

I have a couple of cases of the CCI target in the dark blue paper boxes, they shoot pretty good at C and P starts to open up at T and really about 1 1/2" at rams is the best I could get out of them, for the price, not bad for practice, it makes you hold the break on the rams on center, or it will be a miss 75%.
Evelio.
Evelio
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

That's good info - that's what I was after. Thanks guys.
ImageImage
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I hear the cci sv in the paper box is a capable round in some rifles its a bear to chamber in my tight bore lilja so I dont shoot it...I suspect that like it was demonstrated on the previous post that sorting by weight will improve the consistancy by elimenating the obvious over and under weight rounds. I am shooting excellent groups with the wolf..both grades...SK ammo and the fiocchi exact super match....it will not shoot the heavy waxy eley stuff all that well...anybody else having the same results in thier rifles with tight bores and chambers.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

You are correct Malinois, the CCI or Aguila are very hard to chamber, thats were the large bolt knob comes in handy.
Evelio.
Evelio
caseyboy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by caseyboy »

The CCI SV chambers very hard in my Walther, fortunately the Walther has a large bolt knob and and what appears to be a good "camming" upon closing the bolt.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Man you are not kidding !!! even with the large bolt knob its still hard on the palm..But for those that do not have the tight bore issue..its hard to beat at $25.00 a brick...