IZH-46M Scope?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
k9jri
Unclassified Poster

IZH-46M Scope?

Post by k9jri »

First I would like to say hello to everyone. I have observed as a guest for quite some time but just registered today. The wife got me a new Baikal IZH-46M for Christmas and I have been having a ball shooting in the garage. It has been pretty cold here in Indiana so trips to the range have been out.

My question regards what scopes are being used by IZH-46M users when shooting Silhouette or Field Target?

I do have the scope mount for my Izzy and currently have a Leupold VXII, 2X20 EER handgun scope mounted. At this point my iron sight targets look as good or better than my scoped targets. I am 66 and the scope makes the shake more visible. I use both Match Target aperture sights and scopes on my Anschutz 1416D HB (.22LR) and scopes on my T/C G2 Contender pistols and rifles.

What do you guys use and if physically larger than the Leupold handgun scope how did you mount it so that it would clear the breech/loading port?

Thanks in advance - Mike
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: IZH-46M Scope?

Post by Dee »

IMO you should just use the iron sights. Then you can shoot both classes of pistol. Scoping for sils on a pistol to my mind is pointless especially using a Taco hold. A dot sight at most before a scope. Good luck.

D.
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
TXWobbler
Unclassified Poster

Post by TXWobbler »

Contrats on your Christmas present. At my club you can find the full range in the IZH from ironsights to reddot to rifle scopes. Several use Weaver T16. As long as you can focus down to the 10m chickens it can. I just grabbed in inexpensive Air rifle 12x scope to put on mine until I find some better glass. Will try it out in my first match next week. Have gone through a tin at home practicing (wish I could do that with my T/C or CZ). My eyes are getting such that I will probably swap the Williams sight on my Thompson for Weaver 24. Started out with glass on the izzy.
Kevin
k9jri
Unclassified Poster

Post by k9jri »

TXWobbler wrote:Contrats on your Christmas present. At my club you can find the full range in the IZH from ironsights to reddot to rifle scopes. Several use Weaver T16. As long as you can focus down to the 10m chickens it can. I just grabbed in inexpensive Air rifle 12x scope to put on mine until I find some better glass. Will try it out in my first match next week. Have gone through a tin at home practicing (wish I could do that with my T/C or CZ). My eyes are getting such that I will probably swap the Williams sight on my Thompson for Weaver 24. Started out with glass on the izzy.
Kevin
Interesting TX. I have worn glasses since I was 6 years old and I am now 66 years old. In my 40s I pretty much switched to scopes on all of my rifles and several of my pistols as I just couldn't see as well as I thought I should. Since I wanted to shoot the Izzy in the house, at 10M ISSF/NRA pistol targets, I decided to try the irons. What I learned was that if I REALLY focused on the front sight and REALLY ignored the rear sight and had the recommended wide gap between the rear notch and the large front blade that I could shoot 10M AG bullseyes as well with the irons as I could with the 2X20 Leupold EER scope. I had previously learned that if I was shooting at a standard 100 yard NRA smallbore bullseye, at 100 yards distance, that I would score as many 10s and 10xs with the Anschutz 6834 match target sight set as I could with the Leupold 25X VXIII scope. This was on an Anschutz 1416D HB sporter rifle. Seems like the kind of target and the attention you pay to the rules of using iron sights makes more difference than anything.

I don't have a lot of opportunity to shoot steel targets but I do shoot at paper silhouette targets that have been correctly sized for the distance. I only shoot .22LR and .177 Rimfire and airpistol at 50 yards and less. I have both scopes and irons for the Izzy as well as aperture (front and rear) for the Anschutz rifle. The Contender pistol and carbine barrels have both scope and TC irons. I can see the targets much better with the scopes but the results (hits) are not much different for me than with the irons. Some of IHMSA8080's posts, while not directed to me, were instrumental in making me re-look at the iron sights.

Not sure if my results are valid or just nostalgia but I sure have more fun shooting with the irons. When shooting from a bench or rest then the scopes are almost always better but not when shooting unsupported as you do in both 10M and silhouette.

- Mike