Need advise on sopes

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
22paul
Unclassified Poster

Need advise on sopes

Post by 22paul »

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a scope to shoot at club shoots near me, consisting of 5 each, chickens at 25 yds, pigs at 50, turkeys at 75, and rams at 100. I have no idea of what I need. I'm looking at a Bushnell Banner 4-16 x 40 with FOV @ 100 yards of 6 ft. I'm on a tight budget and it's going on a marlin model 60 to start with, so what do you all think? I guess my main question is how's 6 ft field of view going to work? It seems OK to me but I'm guessing. I plan on buying a Savage Mk 2 but for now it's the marlin. Thanks for the help, Paul
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Need advise on sopes

Post by Innocent »

Paul,
Most rifles with ammo they like will outshoot the shooter. Weighing in that comment, think about investing in good optics, even on a tight budget the reliability of the mechanical parts of a scope are the biggest factors in this game of constant elevation adjustments. Lower dollar but known reliability scopes include the Weaver KT's (with Tseries stepping up from that) , Sightron, then into the the Leupolds. In many cases the optics have cost more than the rifles original cost, and typically are about the same as the rifle costs after trigger, bedding,and other fine tuning is done.
This is probably not what you want to hear, but investing in good glass will save a lot of heartache down the road, trying to figure out why your scores have suddenly dropped off, or the rifle no longer groups.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Paul, Mary is absolutely right even though it's hard to hear. You might also try the Redfield, although they lack an adjustable objective. Good glass holds value, so it's an investment, instead of an expense, and that's one key in this game. We all buy things that turn out wrong, so you come off better buying things that others will want later.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
22paul
Unclassified Poster

Post by 22paul »

First off, thanks for the responses. Both of you make very good sense. The glass can stay with me through many guns. I can probably trade a couple Nylons for a CZ and be good for a while with a good scope. I go to a gravel pit and pick up pieces of clay pigeons and shoot them at 100 yds with my Marlin. It will be interesting to see how bad I shoot with a $10 gift card from the grocery store in town on the line :wink: and $5 to shoot. I usually don't do anything half way and I bet silhouette shooting won't be different. Thanks for talking to me this looks like a fun and informative place to hang out.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Welcome aboard! And remember, the first taste is always free! :twisted:
- C.S. Lewis
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Welcome to the crowd, and remember, have fun, you are only competing against yourself.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
AZRifle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AZRifle »

In all honesty, you are talking with about the same exact setup I started with. I had the Busnell scope and a Marlin 880SQ and soon after a Marlin 29N. If you are on a tight budget that will work. The one tyhing that was a pain in the #$^ was having to diagram the scope settings by pictures to be certain of the proper setting on the dial. I was using that scope on both rifles, standard and hunter. From the bench it worked well enough. For some reason offhand it did not shoot worth crap (haha!).

Understanding a tight budget and you being new to the sport, what you described is good enough to figure out if you want to continue with Rifle Silhouette in the future. There is no reason to go into debt just to try it out. If in the future you decide to be more serious, start saving your $$ now for a better rifle and optics. If you decide you don't like Rifle Silhouette, you can get some great fishing equipment.

Personally, I hope you continue and prove to be a greeat shot at it. The fact is, it frustrates some into not wanting to continue. It is not easy to knock those targets down and it can be frustrating to start.

I have a $400 scope I am trying to sell for $300 and nobody has even made an offer on it. If you end up trying to sell the Bushnell, you will be out about $50.

Hope this helps and Good Luck! with whatever you decide.

Jerry
Rifle Silhouette Information - http://www.RifleSilhouette.com
Arizona Land Surveying - http://www.AZLandSurveying.com
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Great points from Jerry! Keep this in perspective and remember this a hobby and you do do not go into debt or neglect needs for a hobby. (On the other hand, I never let Significant Other know there's money in the Toy Fund, 'cause she'll find a way to tap it...)
- C.S. Lewis
22paul
Unclassified Poster

Post by 22paul »

Hey everyone, thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the food for thought. You all make sense from a different angle so to speak. I'm going to join the gun club where they have the shoot. At least I can practice there. I have no problem shooting a few hundred rounds when I shoot. To be honest I don't even know of anywhere else in my area to shoot silhouette. I just know that this looks like a lot of fun. I don't expect it to be easy, I just want to get out with some like minded folks and have some fun. Punching paper is OK but that gets old for me. Anyway it's good to be here and I'll be around with more newby questions I'm sure. Paul
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

neglect needs for a hobby
Defination of needs is a fluid thing depending upon the wants at the moment.... :roll:

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

We do have an infinite capacity for rationalization. Most internet shopping sites build their business model on it.
- C.S. Lewis
AZRifle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AZRifle »

22paul wrote:Hey everyone, thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the food for thought. You all make sense from a different angle so to speak. I'm going to join the gun club where they have the shoot. At least I can practice there. I have no problem shooting a few hundred rounds when I shoot. To be honest I don't even know of anywhere else in my area to shoot silhouette. I just know that this looks like a lot of fun. I don't expect it to be easy, I just want to get out with some like minded folks and have some fun. Punching paper is OK but that gets old for me. Anyway it's good to be here and I'll be around with more newby questions I'm sure. Paul

I have listings to clubs that shoot rifle silhouette. I am not sure if it is complete but, it is all that I was able to find by some fairly extensive research. They are listed by state and have links to maps of the exact range location.
you will find the link on the top-right corner of the home page.

Jerry
Rifle Silhouette Information - http://www.RifleSilhouette.com
Arizona Land Surveying - http://www.AZLandSurveying.com
22paul
Unclassified Poster

Post by 22paul »

I have listings to clubs that shoot rifle silhouette. I am not sure if it is complete but, it is all that I was able to find by some fairly extensive research. They are listed by state and have links to maps of the exact range location.
you will find the link on the top-right corner of the home page.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I'll check it out. I live just outside of the "Peoples Republic of Madison" guns and or shooters aren't very popular around here. I need to move.