Thumbhole Stocks

This is what we do.
sshooter
Unclassified Poster

Thumbhole Stocks

Post by sshooter »

Does a thumbhole stock provide a steadier hold? Is it legal in Standard class?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

thumb hole

Post by Jerry G »

The thumb hole is legal in standard(heavy) class but not in hunter class. I do think it does give a person more control over the rifle. Not all agree with me. One thing for sure, a vertical pistol grip does work better than the "clasic rifle stock".
papabear
A Poster
A Poster

Post by papabear »

I think the pistol grip and not necessarily the thumbhole is the factor that helps you get a steadier hold. The thumbhole resulted from incorporating the pistol grip to the design. Just my opinion.
PaPaBeAr

I'm confused...
Wait...
Maybe I am not.
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

I may be wrong but I think the general idea of the thumbhole is to make the stock more likely to fit in a way that allows the wrist (trigger hand) to be straight and relaxed, a Very Good Thing. How many of us are shooting rifles that bend the hand back at least slightly, thereby causing tension in the muscles of the forearm and subtle interference with the operation of the trigger?
I'd love to hear from more experienced folks about how to make the rifle fit, what exactly we should be looking for, etc.
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Thumbholes

Post by dwl »

Thumb hole stocks are designed to put the gun more inline with the wrist and forearm. However not all people are built alike and the single size thumbhole does not work for all of us. Personally, most thumb-hole stocks don
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Thumbholes

Post by GTKF »

I'd agree. I use a McMillan anschutz and find my right hand and arm are most relaxed with my thumb straight up on the right hand of the stock. Ialso have an HS Precision thumbhole and find tension in the right wrist because my hand has to point down to get the thumb in the hole