Chicken Pig Turkey 30/30 bullet

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Chicken Pig Turkey 30/30 bullet

Post by boats »

Whats the general opinion on the best jackated bullet weight for the C-P-T line. Rams I figure it's 170FN but no need to go that heavy for the shorter lighter critters.

Boats
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Chicken Pig Turkey 30/30 bullet

Post by cslcAl »

150's will work just fine. 125's will work also.

Al
Team Sierra Member
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Speer had a high BC (for a flat-nose) 130-grain bullet that I bought a few boxes of a few years ago. They shot really well out of my Marlin 336 and didn't seem to be affected by wind much at all. I think this is them, but I'm sure the part number could have changed in the last couple years.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=311507

They look the same and the BC is about what the ones I bought before were. They were definitely cheaper than that when I bought them before, but everything was a lot cheaper then. I just used some cheaper and lighter bullets for chickens, too. I only used the 130s for the pigs and turkeys.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Thanks guys

Any point in trying Speers 100 Gr Plinker ? Years ago I shot them out of a M 94 carbine, Never tested though just shot steel plates.

Boats
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I shoot the sierra 125 fn hp.They shoot really well.My wife will be shooting them now since i have moved up to a 38-55.You can shoot a lite load and they work great (18 grns 4759).Some people i shoot with do shoot 110 on chickens and have good results.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I've shot the 100 gr speer plinkers. There OK but not the most accurate bullets. The 125 sierras are good as are the 130 gr speers. buy them all up if you can.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Thanks

I shoot a lot of Sierra's in HP Silhouette and the little bit of Service Rifle I shoot so might as well stick with them. Guess I will use there 170 FN for Rams full power probably with Varget and keep some zeros for the Turkeys with the 170's too just in case . Will try the 125 FN HP for the short targets. That 4759 tip is a good one too. Use a bunch of it in Cast bullet rifles. Bet I can get that bullet to shoot fine at 50 & 100 with minimal recoil. Turkeys it's going to depend on what gives the best result

Boats
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

you will not be disapointed with the 125 and 4759 on the turkey line.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Thanks that's good to know. Save me some time working things out

Thing about the turkeys for me in HP Silhouette is using two bullets I load a bunch at a time to keep consistent zeros. Usualy about 40% for Rams because I take more Ram Sighter shots, rest for the other 3. Get down to the bottom often times I run short on one or the other and have to shoot the Ram load at Turkeys or if in a real pinch turkey load on rams.

Other advantage I can see to those two Sierra's is would have two good hunting loads Deer and Varmints, if I ever take the M36A hunting.

Boats
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

boats wrote:Thanks guys

Any point in trying Speers 100 Gr Plinker ? Years ago I shot them out of a M 94 carbine, Never tested though just shot steel plates.

Boats
I've used them for chicken loads. As has been said, they aren't the most accurate bullets but five shots go into about an inch at 50 meters and I'm pushing them slowly enough that there's almost no recoil at all. They're cheap, too. I also tried the Speer 110 gr HP FN but they kept getting stuck in the seater die and didn't shoot any more accurately than the Plinkers.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

boats wrote:Other advantage I can see to those two Sierra's is would have two good hunting loads Deer and Varmints, if I ever take the M36A hunting.
Back when Speer was making the 150GR Hot-Cor FN bullets, they were my ram load and my hunting load. The ballistic coefficient was way higher than other 150gr bullets due to the slimmer, longer profile. That made it carry more momentum out to the rams for silhouette and I never had anything other than a pass through on a deer. They are also scary accurate in my 336. The last ~160lb deer that I shot with them ran around 40yds after the shot took out the top of the heart and both lungs, along with a rib on the way in and another on the way out. I've been looking for more of them to buy since Speer discontinued them. It looks like they're bring them back out under a different part number. The new 150gr flat nose Deep Curl bullets are part number 2012 where the old Hot-Cor bullets were part 2011. They're about the same ballistic coefficient (.255) and only a few bucks higher in price per 100, so I'll probably snag some of them to test.
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

The only problem with the Speer 2012 is they aren't making them yet. I contacted Speer about both the 2012 (the 2011 replacement) and the 2042 (the 2041 170gr FN replacement) and they have no idea when they will manufacture them. They intended to deliver them to their wholesalers at the beginning of 2010 but you can see how well that worked.

I've switched to the Sierra 2000, 150gr FN for the c-p-t and the Sierra 2010, 170gr FN for the Rams. They shoot great out of my 24" 336 Cowboy.

**==
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis