First match - Any words of wisdom?

This is what we do.
LH2
B Poster
B Poster

First match - Any words of wisdom?

Post by LH2 »

:)

I'm shooting my first match this weekend, and though maybe some of you guys would have a tip or two for a new shooter.

I'll be shooting a stock CZ452 Style with a Sightron SII 6-24X. Plan to do something with the trigger but wanted to shoot at least one match with the factory trigger.

Thanks for any advice.
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day
The main bit of advice anyone should give you is "enjoy youself", thats the reson we all started shooting and we should never lose sight of it.
Also don't put too higher expectations on yourself, it takes a while to get it together. I would imagine that the shooters will help you like we do down here in Australia, so listen to their advice they've been where you are.
Hope you have a nice time
Juddy
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

You've got a great starting setup. Just show up at the match early, offer to help with any setup necessary, and take it all in. It only takes a couple matches to learn all the routines and be an old pro so you can relax even more and truly enjoy the match. :)
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Unlike the thread for relax and watch, just relax and do it!!!
The main purpose is to have fun while improve yourself all the rest will fall into place. Do not be afraid to ask questions, all the shooters are full of advice.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Innocent wrote:Unlike the thread for relax and watch, just relax and do it!!!
The main purpose is to have fun while improve yourself all the rest will fall into place. Do not be afraid to ask questions, all the shooters are full of advice.

Innocent
Or BS
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
Gator
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Gator »

LH2

The three comments ahead of this are pretty much on the target (pun intended)....

A fundamental and basic necessity for success in this game is relaxation. One can try TOO hard and put too much pressure on oneself (over engineering). The result of this will be tenseness and a lack of concentration on ONE basic fundamental, which is sight picture.

If you are worrying about your score, your equipment or whatever, you ain
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

All excellent advice from the folks here. I might add that it sometimes helps to consider the fact that a 40 round match is actually 40 one round opportunities to experience the fun of seeing a metal animal go flying off it's stand. Give each shot a chance to hit the target, forget the bad ones and try to remember how the good ones felt.

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Pete A.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Pete A. »

Don't Sweat the Score!!! Tell yourself "I'm just there to shoot the best I can that day". If I shoot great; great. If I don't great.

I tell my sons to focus on the hits and not the misses. Think what you did right on the hits. keep it positive.

Plus 22lr ammo is cheap.

good luck;

Pete A.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Scope settings

Post by Jetmugg »

Make sure you have your scope settings figured out during the sight-in period. Write them down on a piece of tape, then stick the tape on either the rifle or the scope to make sure you don't lose them during the match.

Then relax, enjoy, and have fun.

SteveM.
LH2
B Poster
B Poster

Post by LH2 »

Okay, first match is outta the way, shot a 17/60. Frankly, I'm just happy I hit a few targets with the creepy 4.5lb trigger that came with my CZ, and it was pretty windy.

My first order of business is getting a decent 2-pound trigger, that's gotta help me.
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

17/60 is an excellent score in a first match.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

That is a very good first time score!

As you progress, remember that bad days pass and good days are forever. And remember too, when dealing with other Silhouette shooters, the first liar doesn't have a chance... :wink:
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Congratulations on a good score. What club did you shoot at in Arizona? I was at Ben Avery at the Nationals a couple of years ago and the range was very impressive.......Sand, cacti, more sand, more cacti, snakes.....I especially liked the sign on the road leading into the range warning folks that you are in the middle of the Sonoran desert and to beward of snakes, scorpions, etc.........

Kitty
LH2
B Poster
B Poster

Post by LH2 »

jneihouse - I shot at Rio Salado in the East Valley since I live not too far from there.

Ben Avery, although 50 miles from me, is a nice facility. I've shot there before but due to my work schedule I won't be able to make the matches as they are all on Sundays.

I was thrilled to knock a few animals down, period. My CZ's trigger is far from acceptable for this game, so I'm looking forward to getting that taken care of pronto. :!:
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Would definately correct the trigger first.....now that it's on your mind you will be concentrating on it instead of the shot and that leads to failure. Eric Brooks make an inexpensive kit that helps (around 14 dollars) Automated solutions makes and adjustable sear (available from Brownells, not sure of the price) and Timney makes a replacement trigger (available from Chickens Shooting Supply http://www.chickensshootingsupply.com
All good choices.

Kitty