NM Lever Silhouette Championship CANCELLED

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

NM Lever Silhouette Championship CANCELLED

Post by PhxShooter »

At 9:00 PM on 3/22/11 I received an e-mail from Ron Stryker telling me that the 2011 New Mexico State Lever Action Silhouette Championship has been cancelled. He didn't give a reason but I'm fairly sure it has to do with his very recent heart surgery. He said I should have already received a notification but I had not.

Just passing the bad news around for those that were planning on traveling any long distance. Below is Ron's response to me from an e-mail I sent him about the NM State Championship.

"Thanks for the tip! By now you should have received the message showing the match has been cancelled. I am doing well & in less than 2 weeks will be released from the Dr.'s care unless something else shows up. Regards, won't be at Whittington center this year but hope to see you around sometime. Ron"

PLEASE wait for an official notification from Ron before cancelling any travel plans or reservations.
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Re: NM Lever Silhouette Championship CANCELLED

Post by the ex pom »

Ron's a top bloke and I wish him a speedy recovery, as I'm sure all the friends he made from down here in Australia do. Its a shame that such a good shoot falls over with the absence of 1 family.

Good luck to all who attend this years nationals.

Dave
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Dave, that has always been the problem with Raton. They run it like a business unless somebody like Ron or Glenda take upon themselves the responsibility to run local matches or put up a state match. In the past Ron's wife and Glenda spent a good part of the year buying and collecting merchandise to give out as prices at the NM. state match, I understand that last year the prices were not as good but in previous years the prices have been excellent and quite different from the usual trophies given at other places.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Thanks for the info. We were just getting ready to send in our entries. We hope Ron has a quick return and recovery.Good Luck Ron !
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

We have already made reservations at the Whittington center, made arrangements with a house sitter, etc... I hope Ron has a speedy recovery and wish him and his the best of luck. We are still staying on schedule and the days that the New Mexico match were to be shot will give us time to sight in our guns and see the sights around Raton. I hope to see you all there.
Just Be Nice **==
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Glen, Take your fishing pole with you. There is some good trout fishing up the Cimmaron Canyon, not far from Raton. Al
Team Sierra Member
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I'll try and get some of that fishing done Al. I've only caught one trout in my life. Most of our fishing is Catfish. Trout will be a nice change.
Just Be Nice **==
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

Unfortunately it appears that Ron and Loreen are finished with running the NM Lever Silhouette Championships. On 3/23/11 they sent the below message to the Whittington Center Staff and Bcc to many shooters:

This is to inform everyone concerned that the silhouette championships that was to be run by Loreen & Ron Stryker has been cancelled. Any competitor that sent in a entry form should have it returned by via US mail by NRAWC staff. We are sorry for any inconvienience you have been caused. To our friends from Australia hopefully you can find something exciting to see & do to fill in those days. Personally I am sorry I will not be seeing you. Ron
There is a small amount of stuff stored in the mule cabin (just west of housing), mostly stuff for running the event & some awards that were left over. Consider the 8' combination aluminum ladder a gift & put it where it can be used to best effect. Outside of the ladder everything is stored back in the rear left corner on top of the built in table. Use this stuff as you see fit, it belongs to the NRAWC.
You will notice this is addressed to NRAWC but the Bcc also includes all the competitors that would normally attend. Loreen & Ron

It now appears that if there is to be a future NM Championship it will need to be run by someone else. Very sad to see Ron and Loreen leaving after all these years. Thanks to them both for their years of dedication to the sport.

Who is now willing to step up and take the reins? There's got to be somebody in NM who's eager to jump in! Trust me, it'll be fun.
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

PhxShooter...Amen it is time for some of these fine younger folks to step up and help run the match.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Was planning to arrive eary and shoot that match.

If the match is already sanctioned by NRA how hard would it be to shoot it anyway. Whittington center has the targets we could score each other and set ourselves if need be. Bet there are some local kids that were looking for the target setter work anyway

I am Smallbore MD back at Home, I get the competitors to work together and it's easy. Of course if somebody rolls into town expecting more than a good match it's another story. Prizes dinners & all are not important to me. All you need is the critters, scorecards, a rule book and paint to put on a match. If the NM state title is an issue then change the name to warm up match.

Boats
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Boats / All -

While the awards and dinner was enjoyable and did add quite a bit to the whole experience, I would absolutely be interested in still shooting this match if it was held. I would imagine the bulk of the really hard "foot work" for this match was related to the awards and dinner.

However, my impression, from both conversations in previous years that I've had with Ron (about the NM/CO state match) and Greg Conners (about the National matches), is that the biggest issues at NRAWC is scheduling with the center and getting enough target setters, particularly for the 200m Cowboy Rifle event.

My son and I both shot the NM match last year, and I know Ron had some difficulty getting enough folks to set targets on both the SB/PC matches (most of the shooters were willing to set their own) as well as the Centerfire match (this one was a bit more of a problem with folks wanting to keep their heart rates down). We were able to "muddle through", but the NUMBER of shooters for the previous NM match wasn't nearly as many (with it being AFTER the Nats) as what it looks like Ron was expecting for this year's match (with it being BEFORE the Nats).

IF NRAWC hasn't already put something in place of Ron's match, then we MIGHT be able to pull off holding a match in it's place, albeit likely not as elaborate as Ron's. I'm not sure if it'd be a state classified or even NRA sanctioned match if we don't have someone locally "in charge" of the match as a sponsoring entity. Anyone know of the logistics for that piece?

I was planning on attending Ron's event this year, and I haven't changed my vacation plans YET, however I was planning on doing something this week if someone else didn't volunteer to take over the match in Ron's absence.

FWIW, if we could have someone coordinate a match, even if it's a non-sanctioned warm up or "fun match", I'm in a printing related business and would be willing to provide scorecards for the event, given the requirements for them aren't "last minute" (I'd need a week or two's notice). I would just need to know a number of classes/shooters we'd be expecting.

my .02,

-Tim
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Tim,
I read that is as a "I'm willing to contribute what I can"...amen to you and with a little effort I think a few people could pull this together.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Innocent wrote:Tim,
I read that is as a "I'm willing to contribute what I can"...amen to you and with a little effort I think a few people could pull this together.

Mary
Mary -

Absolutely, you read me 20/20... Unfortunately, due to some other commitments, the printing and perhaps help with calling the line at the match would be about all I will be able to personally do... at least for this year's match.

Also, after I posted my comments above, I placed a call to someone that is familiar with what is involved in putting on a match at the NRA Whittington Center at Raton.

Basically, they verified my assumption that the logistical issues at NRAWC are the scheduling and sourcing target setters.

What they also told me was there is a $15-$20 per shooter/per day fee that the Center charges for insurance and range maintenance that would need to be collected, regardless of whether this is a sanctioned match or a simple "fun match".

Lastly, they also reminded me of something "I know but too often forget"... The fact that it's very difficult to both run a match and participate in the match.

just .02 more,

-Tim
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

I phoned NRA and asked the question just now. If the match is formally abandoned by the NM State association they are willing to transfer the date to a new match director. NRA would need to be notified in writing of the agreement to transfer the sanction or if not a State Championship open a new one same dates. Then I put the question up to Whittington center. They are aware Ron is not going to hold the match but have to let me know if the dates are open for someone else to run a match.

Matches require 3 kinds of work. Paperwork scoring etc. This can be real simple self scoring with spotters or adjacent shooters signing the cards. Targets and setting, You can self set however somebody has to be in charge to make sure it gets done. You also need competent range officers for safety and calling the line. Experienced shooters are best. Depending on turn out half a dozen guys could pull it off and still shoot the match.

Lets see what Whittington Center says. If somebody knows Ron Striker how about getting in touch with him and asking if he is OK with a match same dates. I think it would be best if not a state championship, Just a warm up match for the Nationals self scored and set.

Boats
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

boats wrote:...........(snip) Just a warm up match for the Nationals self scored and set.

Boats
Boats -

I think self set will work for SB/PC matches. I regularly set targets for a couple shooters who's knees or other health issues prevent trips downrange beyond the 50 meter line... However, I believe there are too many shooters that (particularly for the 200meter course) are either:

A.) concerned with their heart rates not being able to return to their desired level for best shooting.

-or-

B.) not able to set full size animals due to the higher altitude or other health reasons that prevent them from lifting/setting the heavier targets (heck, I'm in otherwise healthy condition, but with my own back issues I'm not sure I could even set 10 full size rams, or for that matter even 10 full size pigs, LOL!).

-Tim