NM Lever Silhouette Championship CANCELLED

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: NM Lever Silhouette Championship CANCELLED

Post by boats »

I would rather have somebody else set too, lets cross that bridge when we come to it. Everybody says Target setters at Raton are a problem. Setters for one day CLA only might not be as much of a problem as the whole match. Pay enough getting setters is not a problem. Kid with a 4 wheeler does our HP and makes right much for a half days work. We set our own Smallbore and Pistol Caliber. I get the relay comming off the line to re-set and paint what they shot. Other shooters cover for the guys that can't do it

WC had to do some internal checking to do, doubt if I will hear back today let you know when I hear

Boats
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day All
Here is the answer for shooters who will not set targets. Straight out of our rule book here in Aus.

17.8 SCORING / TARGET SETTING
Any Competitor who fails to perform his squadded assignment for scoring and/or
setting targets may be disqualified from the entire Tournament.

If they only set the targets they are required to it will soon be obvious who is bludging off their mates.
We have many differences in our rule book and have slowed sandbagging etc down. I fact we had a instance last year where a shooter was in the wrong grade, as the protest period was over he assumed he had won in a grade he wasn't entitled but we had a ruling and regraded him correctly. Just love stopping those who don't play fair (would of used a word starting with CH and ending with EATING but it's not politically correct).
Juddy
The Chairman has spoken!!
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

There is plenty of work for guys that truly can't set to do. I get them to log the scores on the master score sheet, sweep brass off the range, make the trip to to club gate to lock up when rego is closed etc. Main thing is to let everybody know what needs to be done. If so hardly ever a problem.

Full size Rams are another matter heavy and a long way away. Truck or 4 wheeler is important for fast re-sets. Sure we can work it out.

Boats
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Did some homework, here is the deal

Ron Striker would be pleased if somebody picked up the match. He can't attend but will give advice and his OK to the Center and NRA. WC said the dates are still open and they would also be happy for a match to run those days. NRA Silhouette department will expedite application for a Approved tournament, Registered tournament or State Championship whichever somebody desires. If State NM State has to agree, that's Ron and he agrees if that’s the way we want to go.

It takes half a dozen people or more to run a match. Director and assistant for advance work etc. Target Crew, one and hired help if they can be found, Stats and scores at least two people dedicated. Safety officers and calling the line 2 and more is better to provide relief. Some duplication is possible . If we can get 6 people that have some experience we could shoot a match. Everybody does not have to have experience if backed up in an area by somebody who does.

Simplest way to shoot would be one day Rimfire Rifle, one Pistol Caliber Rifle day and one CLA rifle day. I would suggest move the whole crew from range to range. Here are the numbers. WC has 12 shooting positions 120 targets per bank so if a 40 shot match 12 at a time, theoretical capacity is about 6 relays per day 72 shooters max. If you go for a 60 shot match then 8 on the line and 48 shooters per day. Ron was getting 40 or 50 shooters .

EDIT !! Ron ran 40 shot Smallbore and Pistol Caliber matches 5 relays per day. That means 60 shooters max. Best to stay with what's proven 5 relays per day. CLA day he ran 60 shot matches. I am guessing turn out for CLA is lower. If not it could be fired as a 40

Not thinking about Hunters Pistol unless someone came forward and agreed to handle the pistol portion which could alternate range days Smallbore and Pistol Caliber with Cowboy rifles

I am willing to volunteer for most any of the positions, some would be better at than others. Any shooters interested let me know by PM or email, if we do this it ought to be committed within a week in order to get things rolling

Boats
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Boats -

I've never run a match, but I've been a jury member/line officer and assisted with calling a match and awards, so I'd be willing to assist in those functions. My son also frequently calls a local match and isn't "microphone bashful" so I know he'd also be willing to assist with that function as well.

Concerning the 40 versus 60 round matches... I have to say that was about the only thing I wasn't crazy about in the NM/CO matches (the fact they were 60 round matches). While we regularly shoot 60 round matches at our local clubs, there are either 3 stacked rows of 5 animal increments (at one club), auto resets at another, or enough rail space to set 15 targets across (at a 3rd) without having to do partial resets during the middle of a relay (like is required at NRAWC). IMHO, the SB/PC range at NRAWC is designed for 40s and the partial resets after shooting 5 or 10 did cause some confusion when trying to shoot it as a 60. At a minimum, I do feel at least the 200m Centerfire course should be a 40 round match rather than 60. It might not be an issue for others, but for me the additional ammo requirements, particularly for the centerfire match, becomes a bit of a chore to stay on top of (my son and I shared guns for the last two years and this year we've a 3rd person sharing the guns.... so I'm already trying to get ahead in my loading to where we'll have enough ammo, LOL!).

-Tim
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

40 suits me, only thing I want out of the match is get my zeros down pat and have some fun. 40 also takes the guesswork out of how many to sign up. Not likely to over tax the range with 40 shot matches and get through sooner too. Thanks your offer now we need a few more.

Boats
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

I shot the New Mexico, Colorado state matches a couple of years back at Raton and we shot 60 round matches the first 40 was for one state and the 60 was for the other one. At Nationals we shoot 40's two days for the long range and two more for SB and PC where we shoot 2 40's in one day.
I am thinking that since this time the matches could be held before the National that a lot of shooters would want to use the NM State Championships to tune up for the big one. I would like to shoot either two days of long range 40 rounds each day or one 60 depending on how many shooters show up.
For SB and PC we could shoot 2 40's each day but count it as one 80 to simplify things with scoring and such. To me it does not make sense shooting State matches that only have 40 rounds, that format is mostly for club matches, most registered matches that I have attended had at least one 60 or two 40's.
I would be willing to help and if the state matches are held and I would bring a friend with me that could provide score cards for us since he runs a print shop.
Tony Tello
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

Regarding the number of targets to be shot I completely agree with Tony. Any Championship match should be a minimum of 60 targets per event. 2, 40's are generally better but there are times that may not be practical.

I also would be willing to help as long as it can be done around the shooting which is my primary concern. I'd be very willing to assist with stats or whatever is needed any time I'm not shooting. OK I've gotta qualify the "whatever" to eliminate being a target setter. The worn out hips and back takes care of that.

If someone, probably a NM shooter, is willing to step up to be the Match Director this can probably be pulled off this year.

Craig
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

The main thing is to get a match director, then the required number of people it takes to put on a match. Figuring out what course of fire is going to be up to whoever runs the match. MD will make the NRA application and you chose between State, Registered, or Approved when you fill out the form.

Seems to me best thing would be someone who is a member of the NM assocation is MD and run the championship origional set up. If not and somebody from out of state picks up the match unsquaded individual match, walk up entrys, 40 shot, self scored, self set. This is the easiest to run requires less staff and still give competitors traveling to Raton for the Nationals a good warm up match on the range. You could add target setters if they can be found.

Boats
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

I just send an Email to Glenda Graves who runs monthly matches at both the WC. in Raton and Yuma to see if she would be interested in joining and heading our effort.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Okay someone has to play devils advocate on this. It's probably a matter of convenience that they hold the NM State Championships just prior to the Nationals, maybe to insure better attendance. It's also customary at Ridgway that they hold their regular Smallbore monthly match on the Saturday before the Nationals. Neither one is called a Warm-Up to the Nationals. It just happens that way. Having a warm up match I think is not in the spirit of the competition because it gives the competitors that can attend an advantage and puts the ones that can only attend the Nationals at a disadvantage. I know it's always been this way in NM and Ridgway but to call it a warm-up I think will lead to problems.

ppkny
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Tony,
How 'bout Teresa E? She is NM resident...I just have property there, still live in Florida.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

lone ringer wrote:I just send an Email to Glenda Graves who runs monthly matches at both the WC. in Raton and Yuma to see if she would be interested in joining and heading our effort.
Tony -

It was Glenda that I spoke to (and referenced in my post on 3/28) about what it would take to hold a match at NRAWC. At that time she commented that she would only be interested in shooting the match (and then only if it was a NM state match) and had little interest in running it.

You might have better luck than I did talking her into leading the effort, but it was her that reminded me running a state match is kind of a full time job and gives the individual doing it not much opportunity to also shoot it.

-Tim
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

Having both run and having shot Sporting Clays State Championships you can't do justice to either if you try to do both. I learned that the hard way. I tried it once and after that decided to just run it. So unfortunately whoever is willing to Cowboy/Cowgirl up to run the match will more than likely be sacrificing the opportunity to shoot it. He/She will however, be earning the undying gratitude of the shooters.

The biggest headache for the match director will be the registration and squadding process. Since Ron ran his match as a "benefit" match with the profits going to the Whittington Center, and if this new match is run the same way, perhaps someone at the center would be willing to assist?
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

So where do we stand? Is there anyone out there from NM who's willing to run this match?

Reduce the price a little from what Ron was charging but forget the dinner and the awards. Keep it to just the shooting and bragging rights and as long as the shooters know that in advance, it's guaranteed they'll understand and appreciate it. Those that win the State Championships (Smallbore, Pistol Caliber and Rifle Caliber) will get a certificate from the NRA.

Anybody out there from NM??