NRA Nationals Packet

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Cimarron Red
B Poster
B Poster

NRA Nationals Packet

Post by Cimarron Red »

Several days ago I received my entry packet for the nationals, and in the official program is a short paragraph on fiber optic sights. Here it is from pp.34, 35:

Note: Since no rules changes were allowed in 2010, the rule as stated above, "Front sights must be a post or bead," will stand and the use of fiber optic material will not be allowed. The subject will come before the Silhouette Committee at their meeting in November of 2011.

As I understood it the NRA's earlier position was that factory-made fiber optic sights would be permitted, but the home-made, external strand of F.O. would be disallowed. The consistent inconsistency continues.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: NRA Nationals Packet

Post by Jason »

From that, it sounds like the official position is "The current rules say that fiber optics aren't allowed so we have to stick to that for now. We'll discuss and possibly change it in November." That sounds to be correct if you interpret the current rules as not allowing them.
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

The real problem is that the same rule has been in place for many years. However, at the 2008, the 2009 and the 2010 Nationals, fiber optic sights were allowed. It's pretty much all been said and no point in beating a dead horse because the NRA Silhouette Committee has spoken even though the only 2 committee members that actually shoot lever action silhouette voted against the ban. None of the other members shoot lever action silhouette and I believe that some of the others don't shoot ANYTHING anymore. Then of course we have Michael Krei who seems to think that it costs "hundreds or even thousands of dollars" (his words) to put on a $12.00 fiber optic bead front sight.

This was all done of course with no shooter input allowed.

Me, I'm not going. The only thing they'll understand is fewer competitors and fewer dollars.
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Maybe we need a 'Southern Nationals' for Lever guns :-bd Ducky you listening :D
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

259, Ron ran as close to the Southern Nationals for CLA as you can get. Just gave away prizes at the dinner rather than all day long, didn't quite match the level of prizes but it was still all in good fun. WIth all due respect, one Southern Nationals is all any match director can handle in a year. I know how much goes into the team effort of Jerry B, David M, Robin U and all the others not to mention the early arrivals like Limey and his mate Jim.

Boats, will try to call later today, have some young newbies I have to instruct tonight so we'll see how it goes.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

I will not be going either and I think quite a few AZ shooters are boycotting the Nationals. Going to return my entry form with a letter of explaination why I am not going. Probably will not make a difference but........
tim
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

timfinle wrote:I will not be going either and I think quite a few AZ shooters are boycotting the Nationals. Going to return my entry form with a letter of explaination why I am not going. Probably will not make a difference but........
But I would think it will certainly send a message to the commitee if you copy them on your letter.

Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

Bob
The southern Nationals will be on next week. You can't get more south than us. We'll let you use your fibre optic sights.
Juddy
The Chairman has spoken!!
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Ramslammer wrote:Bob
The southern Nationals will be on next week. You can't get more south than us. We'll let you use your fibre optic sights.
Juddy
Juddy, You have no idea how hard I'm trying to get a trip back there. Unfortunately it's not looking like it will be soon enough for this match. :(

Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

I agree that we should go to the Southern Nationals for CLA...you ready 259?

Innocent

Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day
Bob what do you reckon about 2012? I'm hoping for Raton 2013 for BPCR and CLAS.
Juddy
The Chairman has spoken!!
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I dont understand why people are boycotting the nationals because of this rule. I would think that you should go and speek your mind at the competiters meeting. Wouldnt that get the point across better. Also my thought is if they are not going to allow fiber optic front site then make a rule that all targets have to be white. Just a thought. The competiters meeting should be real interesting. I am sure glad that I am not gonna miss it.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

44 Mag, how many competitors meetings run by Greg Conner have you attended? Let me assure you that no matter how many showed up at smallbore/high power he does not wish to listen to the majority. He has shown this side many times, and not just him, letters to Mike Krei (his current boss) have fallen on deaf ears. And I might add that letters to his previous bosses have achieved the same results. At AZ high power, earlier this month, Lee Oneill ( silhouette commitee member)was carrying around a petition for a rule clarification/change on this subject and stated he would hand deliver it to Greg. A lot of us signed it but do not expect any different result from Greg.

As for painting the targets white, at Raton during certain lighting conditions white will not show up either, so there is a catch 22 no matter what color you paint it.
Lack of dollars is the one thing the NRA will listen to.

Mary

glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

We are really looking forward to seeing some of you again at Raton. I think we have a few new shooters from Oklahoma. We've looked forward to this vacation since the day after the nationals last year. We'll be there a few days early trying to hit that 1000 yard buffalo with our 30-30 s. I know it's a tough target with an iron sighted 30-30, but I CAN'T THINK OF MANY WAYS TO HAVE MORE FUN THAN BEING AT SUCH A BEAUTIFUL PLACE PLINKING AT A STEEL SILHOUETTE ON THE SIDE OF A MOUNTAIN. See you there!
Just Be Nice **==