LRCLA MV For 30-30 Jacketed Bullets

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
kemo sabe
B Poster
B Poster

LRCLA MV For 30-30 Jacketed Bullets

Post by kemo sabe »

I would like to use one load for c-p-t-r. What MV for 30-30 150 gr. jacketed bullets is just fast enough to consistently take down the rams ?
dgslyr
B Poster
B Poster

Re: LRCLA MV For 30-30 Jacketed Bullets

Post by dgslyr »

At 2100 the rams fall slowly,at 2300 they all fall if the are set over hanging.If they are set full foot on the rail they may or may not fall at 2300 fps.Remington factory ammo 150 gr knocked down every thing I hit with it from my XLR 30/30.I didn't chrono them but they are allegded to be 2390 fps.I never shot rams set full foot with factory ammo.I have shot c-pt-r with factory ammo and didn't damage the chickens.I shoot 110 gr sierra RN at the chickens and pigs at 2250 fps and 150 gr. sierra in one gun and 150 gr. hornady's in the other, at 2300 at turkeys and rams.Zeroed at 100 with 110's and 200 with 150's,same sight setting,have to come down 8 clicks for turkey's.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Not everybody will agree with me,

My opinion from shooting a lot of high power & BPC silhouette is any load that will knock over 100 % of the rams is handicaping most shooters on the other 3 animals. More so in Cowboy than the other Silhouette disiplines. Rams can be set so many different ways club to club and if hard set Cowboy lever it takes a powerfull load to knock over "reliably" Shooter hitting 60 % needs to hit more Critters. Get up to high AAA or Master 80 % and higher, win or loss in the overall match hinges on one or two targets you need to look at ram knock down more carefully. Best practice is a two bullet strategy, light for C-P-T heavy for Rams. Have turkey with the ram load zeros in case you run short of cartridges. MV is way less effective than bullet weight on knock down.

Don't worry about a few Rams left standing, be glad you hit them.

Boa
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Rumor has it that you need about 1 lb-sec momentum to knock down the ram. So using the momentum equation found here http://www.lasc.us/ConversionTables.htm, I calculate you'll need 1506 fps with a 150gr bullet at the ram line to knock one down. You'll have to work backwards with ballistic tables or software to determine MV for your given load.
Ymmv
- Joe
Bwake
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Bwake »

I think what you want to do just isn't advisable. In my neck of the woods a .30-30 load that's 100% reliable on rams doesn't exist as far as I know. To use maximum loads across the course would needlessly beat up you and your rifle. Mr. Boats is right, go for a two load approach.

One strategy I've used with good success is to use the same heavy bullet for everything but download for CPT. You can look at cast bullet data for load ideas but remember that if you substitute jacketed bullets, they'll run maybe 100 fps slower. Good luck.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

125 Gr Sierra .30 cal Varmit bullet with 20 grs of 4227 recoils like a pistol caliber and is real effective on CPT. I have a 45/70 thats reliable on Ram knock down. I don't shoot effective with it on any of the critters. It's downloaded far as you can go and still get acceptable accucary, still kicks too hard for a 40 shot match. 30/30 have settled on Sierra's 170 gr FN with Varget 1900 fps for Rams. If I ever take that old Marlin 36A hunting gives me effective Deer and Varmit loads too.

BPCS, High power, Rimfire lever, or CLA Rams all have knock down issues. Watch those target setters make sure they give you a fair target is a better strategy than over loading. My match have no problem with competitors asking for a look to see if they are set properly.

Boats
kemo sabe
B Poster
B Poster

Post by kemo sabe »

Thanks for your info. Will start with the 150 gr. Sierra ahead of 30 gr. Benchmark @ 2120 fps, per Chrony, on c p t r. If it does the rams and I am bothered by the recoil I will go to the 110 gr. for c p t. Do they set back in the case without a canelure crimping ring? Do rules allow single loading?

This load seems very consistent for me. I was able to get all my sight settings with 13 rounds, no wind.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Rules require loading through the magazine. You may get good results with something like the Speer Plinker and not crimping, but I would only use a bullet with a crimp grove. Advantage to the no crimp grove bullet is only a few dollars a box but trouble that a set back could cause could be expensive. One goes deep in the case preasure will increase probabaly not a lot but who knows ?

Boats
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

kemo sabe wrote:Thanks for your info. Will start with the 150 gr. Sierra ahead of 30 gr. Benchmark @ 2120 fps, per Chrony, on c p t r. If it does the rams and I am bothered by the recoil I will go to the 110 gr. for c p t. Do they set back in the case without a canelure crimping ring? Do rules allow single loading?

This load seems very consistent for me. I was able to get all my sight settings with 13 rounds, no wind.
You can single load as long as your ammo is loaded through the magazine.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

You could do that but adding to the loading routine is not likely to help somebody's scores. If somehow it was possible to use a higher BC bullet mag single loading Rams it might be some advantage I guess. Cowboy gives you longer prep time but cuts the firing time by 30 sec. I generally use my whole 2 minutes feeding from the tube.

Also never saw anybody use the Speer plinkers for any reason except they are cheap. Had some laying around for years after a few unsuccessful trials. Finally loaded them up in .30 carbine cases for a guy with a Ruger Single action. Good 125 gr Varmint bullets are out there, might as well not handicap yourself.

Boats
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

I have for years used two loads with my 30-30, 34 gr of Varget 110 Sierra for chickens/pigs and 150 Speer for turkeys/rams. The 110gr carbine bullet is not as accurate as the 150gr bullet but is good enough for short range loads. The best thing is that there are hardly any adjustments done to my sights for the first three distances with those loads.

My other two loads for important matches are 34 gr of Varget and 150 gr Speer for c/p/t and 32 gr of Varget with a 170/180gr bullet for rams.
dgslyr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dgslyr »

lone ringer wrote:
kemo sabe wrote:Thanks for your info. Will start with the 150 gr. Sierra ahead of 30 gr. Benchmark @ 2120 fps, per Chrony, on c p t r. If it does the rams and I am bothered by the recoil I will go to the 110 gr. for c p t. Do they set back in the case without a canelure crimping ring? Do rules allow single loading?

I use a Lee factory crimp die on the Sierra 110 gr RN with 26.5 grs. of Reloader-7.The std. deviation for this load is 9 fps.I load 5 in the mag tube and have been doing it for years with no problems.They group around an inch at the pigs from my 30/30 Cowboy and my 30/30 XLR.