ammo tests

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
ron
B Poster
B Poster

ammo tests

Post by ron »

As suggested to me in an earlier post, I bought some ammo and conducted tests to see which brands my Browning Buckmark and Anschutz liked.
I tested;
SK Rifle Match
Federal Prem Gold metal
Aguila Match Rifle
Eley Tenex Pistol
Wolf Match Target
RWS Match
Eley Tenex
With both guns scoped for testing at 100 yards, the results were fairly clear.
At the end, I had a deciding shoot off between Tenex, Tenex Pistol and RWS. It was close with the pistol ammo showing nicer looking groups and slight measured number over the Tenex Rifle ammo. RWS was a close 3rd. The groups were at, or under, 2". With the breeze and my wavy hold, an inch of that was me.
All ammo had at least one outstanding 5 shot group with Aguila posting a one inch group.
In the end Tenex had more consistent tight groups and the measured value to support it.
Of course, it's the most expensive. I could have saved time and money by just buying the most costly ammo. :D
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: ammo tests

Post by Jerry G »

If you shoot the cheeper stuff for practice and shoot the expensive stuff at important maches, it ain't too bad. I don't know how far you drive to shoot a mach but for me the cost of ammo is the cheep part of the trip. Drive a couple hundred miles each way, pay for motel sucks for a couple nights, and and you will come to the same conclusion.