Anything from the Cowboy Nationals?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Anything from the Cowboy Nationals?

Post by PhxShooter »

Byron wrote:I think that the down turn in attendance was more related to the economy than the sight issue. The farther away you live from the match the more it costs to attend. I bet you will see less shooters at PA this year and the sights aren't an issue.

Byron
And the economy was great last year when they set or tied a record for the highest attendance?? I'm not saying that everyone who didn't show up this year was just because of the sight issue but of the eight from AZ who were planning on going then changed their mind, every one was ONLY because of the sights. For me the decision was simple. I'm competitive with the fiber optics. I'm not without them. I just can't see spending the money when I know I don't even stand a chance against those with eyes that can see the metallic sights with black animals.

What's done is done. All we can do now is wait till the Silhouette Committee reviews the situation in October and then turns it over to the Rules Committee. Hopefully this will be resolved in the favor of the shooters and we can all get back to shooting.

Congratulations to Preston Gibson, Tony and Derek.
Last edited by PhxShooter on Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Congrats to Preston, Tony, Derek and all that suffered through that complete SNAFU. My question is who picked the jury, and when was it picked? Greg is known for not picking a jury until there is a protest filed, then he picks the jury based on how he wants the ruling to go....seen it too many times. My repsect for Greg as a leader, and fair adminstrator is obvious.

Congrats also to you Tim for hitting that Buffalo...such fun to even try.

Byron, while work played a significant part of my last minute decision NOT to attend this years nationals, the sight ruling is the primary reason I chose not to attend before work entered into the picture. Arbitrary, not responsive to the shooters, not including those with lower vision capabilities and the overall decision made by NRA management and my not showing is in protest to their lack of respect for the majority of shooters.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

CLA scores from the Cowboy Nationals

Post by Tlee »

Ok... I managed to downsize a few pics to a low enough resolution that I can upload them from my cell connection while we're on the way home from Raton. If I get part of them posted, but not all, I'll post the rest when I have internet coverage in the next town/burb.

Larger versions of these can be found at this Flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10417929@N ... 919329392/

Here's what I've gotten done so far (I'll download each in separate posts to try and keep them organized):

CLA scores for classes Master thru part of AAA:

CLA scores for remaining AAA thru AA:

CLA scores for classes A thru B:

-Tim
Last edited by Tlee on Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

PCCLA scores from the Cowboy Nationals

Post by Tlee »

PCCLA scores for Master thru part of AAA:

PCCLA scores for remaining AAA thru AA:

PCCLA scores for classes A thru B:

-Tim
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

SBCLA scores from the Cowboy Nationals

Post by Tlee »

SBCLA scores for Master thru part of AAA:

SBCLA scores for remaining AAA thru part of AA:

SBCLA scores for remaining AA thru B:

-Tim
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

And your 2011 Cowboy Rifle 3 gun aggregate champion is:

Post by Tlee »

Preston Gibson
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Make the Most of the Best and the least of the worst.
The weather was great and the People were fantastic. My goal was to shoot better than last year ( I did) and to learn something ( I did) and last but not least to hit the white buffalo with my 30-30 standing no support....Heck I even did that. This was a great trip and I met new friends. The shoot was ran very well and the little hiccups just that. Little hiccups.
My wife's goal was to hit the white buffalo with her 30-30 and she did. She also had a great time and met new friends.
I'm sorry some of you couldn't make the shoot. It was GREAT! I hope you can make it in the future.
I hope to see you there again next year.
Just Be Nice **==
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

glen ring wrote:Make the Most of the Best and the least of the worst.
The weather was great and the People were fantastic. My goal was to shoot better than last year ( I did) and to learn something ( I did) and last but not least to hit the white buffalo with my 30-30 standing no support....Heck I even did that. This was a great trip and I met new friends. The shoot was ran very well and the little hiccups just that. Little hiccups.
My wife's goal was to hit the white buffalo with her 30-30 and she did. She also had a great time and met new friends.
I'm sorry some of you couldn't make the shoot. It was GREAT! I hope you can make it in the future.
I hope to see you there again next year.

Glen -

GMTA (great minds think alike)... I just sent you a PM right before you posted this asking about how your shots at the Buffalo went. We all get to wear the T-shirt now, LOL!

-Tim
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Got it Tim. My buffalo load was one of the new Hornady pointed 30-30 bullets and a near max load of 3031. The bullet is FAR superior to any round nose at the longer ranges. What a GREAT time!!
Just Be Nice **==
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Tim thank you for posting the results pictures.
To you and GLen both, I see your point of making the best of the good, but having been where the people that were protesting are, I understand. The time and money commitment to be in the top 5 shooters is far more than either of your realize, and if you look at the number of years of shooting silhouette those shooters have...I can assure you they have been through the growth and rapid decline in the number of shooters in the sport. They see were the problems stem from and dealing with the economy is bad enough, no reason to throw in inconsistant arbitrary applications of rules. As an example ALL other registered matches REQUIRE the appointment of a jury BEFORE the match starts and that jury remains the same throughout that tournament. Appointing different juries based on the protest after the protest has been filed is just wrong, whether a "non-biased" jury is appointed or not.
You are not guilty of what you have done but rather the appearance of what 1,6 or 12 thinks you have done (or in this case many shooters). Look at the appearance of what is being done when the match director chooses a jury, only after a protest has been filed.

My heart goes out to those involved in the final four...as I understand their time, and commitment to achieve an award and to have such an apparently minor issue turn into what it did...typical Greg Conner leadership (or lack thereof). Congrats to all of them.

On the lighter side...Congrats to both of you for getting the BIg Boy out there...nothing like a little Kentucky windage!

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Was signed up but did not go, spotter and shooting partner had a medical problem. Wish I could have been there. Why not alternate the matches East and West Coast like regular Silhouette. Attendence is off, bet it would jump back up if held in Pennsylvania. So much ill feeling might be time for a change.

Boats
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I think we realize what kind of commitment and sacrifice it takes to be a good shooter. Some folks are gifted and some are not. I am not one of those gifted shooters. I practice every day at the range that is located 15 yards from my back door. I have spent countless hours shooting and studying and my only two goals were to shoot a better score than last year and to have a nice vacation. I did both.
I realize the expense also. I save all year for this one National shooting event. I scrounge wheel weights and cast bullets for my old lever action guns and then load all winter just for this one event.

My plan next year is to shoot a little better than this year and have another nice vacation. I will do both again.

I think that if a sport gives you so much heartburn you should just quit that sport.

My Nationals experience was great because I always have a positive attitude and ignore any minor drama and refuse to be a part of it.

Good people, good shooting, good times and Bless Mr. Connor for his patience .
Just Be Nice **==
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

I'm on board with you also Tim and GlenRing. Al Bean, MCRC
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Having attended this year's Nationals, I have to say the only thing that really annoyed me was the protest at the beginning of the first match on Monday, July 4. We sat around for 1 & 1/2 hours while the jury deliberated. We lost great shooting weather and it made for a long day. I don't know if it is possible, but I would like to see these protests have to be made before the first match day so they don't interfere with the shooting program.

There seemed to be a lot of contention between Greg Conner and some of the shooters. I would remind all of you that the best way to voice your opinion is to write the NRA Silhouette committee with your thoughts. I understand they are required to read each and every letter before the board meeting in the Fall.

I'm sending my letter. How about you?

Jim Luke
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

I, too, would love to see the requirement for protests to be made, when possible, prior to a match. I understand there may be some circumstances where that is not possible, such as when an irregularity occurs during a match. I'm sending my letter too, Jim.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.