Loads for 357 using Unique

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Loads for 357 using Unique

Post by ppkny »

Last year I tried to use 125gr bullets at all the distances for PC. My goal was to use different loads for each distance so I didn't need to change my rear sight. (this works great on my 30-30) I couldn't come up with a good load using 4227.
Someone suggested using a 158gr for the turkeys and rams and switching to Unique and see if this would accomplish what I was trying to do.
I can't remember what the load was...Does 6grs of Unique sound right? I was using 12/14 grs of 4227.
ppkny
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Loads for 357 using Unique

Post by Bob259 »

ppkny wrote:Last year I tried to use 125gr bullets at all the distances for PC. My goal was to use different loads for each distance so I didn't need to change my rear sight. (this works great on my 30-30) I couldn't come up with a good load using 4227.
Someone suggested using a 158gr for the turkeys and rams and switching to Unique and see if this would accomplish what I was trying to do.
I can't remember what the load was...Does 6grs of Unique sound right? I was using 12/14 grs of 4227.
ppkny
Pete,
Look at the Alliant site... http://www.alliantpowder.com/default.aspx and go into the guide and work up to the load listed. I think your close, I didn't start playing with mine yet to help as I'm still shooting the ones we bought.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Pete I've been using 7.1 gr of unique with 125gr bullets for years. Its listed in sierra load manual as the lightest load for that combo. Nice lite kick and accurate is good out to rams. Also tried imr 4227 and its not any good for the 357.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I'm getting great results with a 125 gr bullet and 12gr of 4227 for the chk/pigs it's the tky/rams that I can't get 4227 to work. I loaded up some 6 and 7 grains of unique with a 158 Riener bullet and going to try them today at the tky and rams.
ppkny
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

We are having a heat wave today in the NE. Currently about 68 degrees so I got up to the gun club and tried out my 357 loads. Best results at 100 meters was 158gr RN Reiner with 7.0 g of Unique. Target attached.
I didn't move my rear sight elevation and it's set for my chk/pig with 12 gr of 4227. I think I'm on the right track.
ppkny
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The Rainiers are a great bullet. Just watch your speed. They do not like traveling to fast. I think they recommend less than 1400fps. or they tend to come apart.
NRA Endowment Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I have not used the 158 gr for rams. It may be too much bullet its only going 100 yds. 125s are all I shoot and I only load the one weight for all animals. It makes loading alot quicker and no confusion on the line later either. I save the 158s for CLA and only use them for T&R. 125s work well on C&P. With the 158s I use blue dot.
NRA Endowment Member
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

ppkny wrote:We are having a heat wave today in the NE. Currently about 68 degrees so I got up to the gun club and tried out my 357 loads. Best results at 100 meters was 158gr RN Reiner with 7.0 g of Unique.
...(snip)
Nice group! What type of crimp are you using? When I tried the Raniers or the Berrys I'd get 4-5 into a nice tight group and then the occasional flyer out a couple/3 inches away. Seemed to be related to neck tension or the crimp, less being better. I still never found a crimp that would group them 100%.

BTW, 7.7gr of Unique with a 158gr Ranier chrony'd 1404 to 1446fps out of my 24" barrel. 5.5gr of it ran 988fps. I never got the chance to check any incrementals, only the hi/lo.

- Tim
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

tlee, I'm using a Lee factory crimp die. Here's some pictures. I thik I'm getting a very uniform crimp on all the bullets.
ppkny