Rim Thickness/Round thickness with pic's and measurements...

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Rim Thickness/Round thickness with pic's and measurements...

Post by cedestech »

Don't know if anyone has done this but with the question about CCI SV being hard to chamber I figured I'd actually measure some of the more popular ammo's I have. Not scientific. Just a veneer caliper and a 25/06 shell to measure rim thickness and pictures....

I have a Eley match chambered Franken Hunter and can testify that CCI is a bear to chamber and Aguilla is IMPOSIBLE to chamber. Here are the numbers....

25/06 case length - 2.489" the number shown will you minus the case length and get rim thickness. The second number is round diameter at the leading driving band. You can use the photo to estimate the driving band height. ;)

RWS Rifle - 2527 .222
Eley Sport - 2525 .223
Eley Club - 2523 .223
CCi SV - 2528 .224
Aguilla SE - 2527 .225
Federal 917/AM22 - 2526 .223
Wolf MT - 2527 .222

As you can see, rim thickness may have a something to do with it but also round diameter, especially in the lead of the chamber. Notice in the picture of the rounds all together that the thickest round (aguilla) also has the largest/squareist band. Odly enough, it's the most accurate round in my .22 Contender barrels.... :)

Discuss.... :bthumb:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Rim Thickness/Round thickness with pic's and measurement

Post by Jerry G »

I have rim gaged quit a few rounds and my conclusion was, It helps to sort the cheep stuff but it is a waste of time with the better ammo.

Crackers swears (?) it helps but I think it is all in his head. I guess do whatever works for you.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I saw some realy good groups from a friend's rifle that was tested at the Mesa Lapua facility. As I said before, ammo for a match is the cheepest part of your weekend.

Practice with cheep stuff and live with the fliers but shoot the good stuff at a match. :-bd
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Travelor »

Weight sorting helps eliminate the unexplained dropped shots. But you need a scale like the GemPro that weights to +/- .02 grains for it to be advantageous.

Weight sorting with a scale that weighs to +/- .1 grain is useless.
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Jerry G wrote:I have rim gaged quit a few rounds and my conclusion was, It helps to sort the cheep stuff but it is a waste of time with the better ammo.

Crackers swears (?) it helps but I think it is all in his head. I guess do whatever works for you.
Do you mind defining the better ammo? I mean where would Geco Rifle and Wolf MT fall in the realm of better ammo? Would it be worth it to gauge the Geco or Wolf? I have been so tempted to get an actual gauge, but if it is not worth it, then I can save that money for the purchase of more ammo.

-Mark
-Mark
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Rim Thickness/Round thickness with pic's and measurements...

Post by Jerry G »

I guess it would depend on how of good of shooter you are and how important a match is.

Just starting - Wolf or SK Standard Plus or equal

Monthly match for most - SK Rifle Match or equal

Most for important match - Center X or Eley black box

If you change ammo, be sure the lube is the same. SK to SK or Eley to Eley. The lubs are different and make a difference if you mix them. If you go from one brand to another, clean your bore well and fire some fouling rounds before you get your zeros for the new ammo. Not all ammo likes your gun. I have seen CCI group well in some guns but not many so try a few different brands and remember, the cheaper stuff does have more fliers so test 5 and 10 shot groups at 100 M. Don't shoot for groups any closer than 100 because most of the problems show up around 70 to 80 M.

This should be considered a rough guide because every gun likes different fodder and not all matches are created equal.

Good luck and have fun shooting.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

and... batches matter too apparently.

For the CZs we have, Geco and RWS Target seem to work great along with CCI Target.

For the Annie's (1416, 1712 and 5418) Wolf or SK std + seems to run pretty good. The Wolf Match Extra or SK Match is what we use for the important matches.

So, the question, is it worth it to gauge the Wolf/SK?

I probably should get some Norma Match and Eley Target to test as well.
-Mark
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

HI ALL ,

MY 2 cents ...
I have the rim thickness gauge AND did ALL that ...
THIS is what I learned ...
AGUILA and CCI and the older FEDERAL ULTRAMATCH are very thick rimmed !
approximately 0-3 ish on the gauge ; the other side of the spectrum IS ALL the european stuff !

LAPUA and FIOCHI are very thin rimmed ...
NEXT is ELEY and RWS at approximately 7-4 on the spectrum ...

0 IS THICKEST and 8 THINEST ...
GO FISH !

GSL .
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

THANK YOU

GREAT subject !

GSL
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Thank you.