Open Air Rifle

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
jjp
AA Poster
AA Poster

Open Air Rifle

Post by jjp »

I'm wanting to add to my air rifle addiction. I'm looking for a Open Target rifle. What are some of yalls opinions? I see alot of Styers and then Anschutz that have been tuned. I would like to get a target rifle that shoots in the 800 fps range like our tuned TX200. I like the Annie triggers alot, how do the styers compare? Thanks.
JasonPeterson
Finprof
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Open Air Rifle

Post by Finprof »

Walther used to make a lighter version of their LG300 Dominator. It was called the Hunter. For a year it was legal in Sporter class. You can find them used every so often.

Steyr just came out with a version of thier LG110 Field Target gun that has an adjustable skeleton wood stock. It is called the LG110 Hunting. I got one a month ago for an open gun.

Any field target gun, like the Dominator, would also be OK, except that they tend to be a bit heavy and balance toward the butt since they are designed to be shot sitting down.

Any target gun can be modified for more fps. That way you could have a target gun and open gun that feel the same.
jjp
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jjp »

Who works on Anschutz and/or walthers? Would love to have two that felt the same. I love using my walther for sparrow control. Would love to get a pcp wit more power for porch critter control. They are just so much sweeter than springers.

How much does it cost to.get one modified?
JasonPeterson
RickNW
B Poster
B Poster

Post by RickNW »

I've shot Air Rifle FT for a few years; but new to MS. I have an old Anschutz 2025, FT and Field Match(?) Rifle. I was told in Euro land they called Metalic Silhouette- Field Match? Anyway I used it for FT for a couple years; but now use an Air Arms EV2 for FT- I shoot the International Class at 12 fpe, 800 ft/s with mid weight pellet (8.4 grain). The 2025 shoots the heavy pellets at 800 ft/s- so this works better for MS- the EV2 was sometimes challanged at 45 yards.

I was talking to some Steyer owners last fall at FT Natz and they like the rifles; but couldn't recomend them- theirs had lots of custom work and tuning. So I'm sticking with the EV2's, for the money it's the best 12 fpe FT Match rifle. I win most of the FT Matches, I shoot International rules and usually end up in Open class- the rifle shoots! I did hang a MEC weight off the front rail- it really helps for offhand. It doesn't have an Anschutz triggger; but you can tune it- just not as easy or as smooth. I also have Anschutz Match 380, SuperAir 2001, SuperAir 2002, 2002, 8002, 8002 Jr (grandson), 1907, 1712 and NEW 54.18- so I do like the Anschutz rifles and their triggers.

I have thought about turning the 8002 into a FT rifle; but the EV2 is that good- easily the best FT stock. Oh yeah I have a FWB P70 FT too- also tuned to 800 ft/s with heavy pellet- great shooter but stock and trigger leave me wanting better. I guess I need to sell it.

I have a question regarding the real MS Open Class Air Rifles. From reading through the rules and jumping around for clarification. I read the rules for open class that the but plate and cheek peice are allowed to be adjusted to the shooters needs. I brought it to a local (Tacoma, WA) smallbore match to ask for rule clarification; but no one knew the Air Rifle rules. So hopefully this forum can clarify the rules.

Rick Knowles
RickNW
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

I have a modified Styer ZMLG100 and love it. That said when I got mine the AA EV2 was still in development and not readily available. If I was buying now I'd get the AA EV2, just because I like it's looks and balance. I would say my ZMLG100 shoots the same as the EV2 and in some test it tested better in group size then the EV2, but who knows how controled those test were as these things are all pellet and pressure sensitive.

Still look at the Red EV2 and have to get off the site quickly before I do somthing stupid and hit the order button :D
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
jjp
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jjp »

How many shots do you get out of the EV2?
JasonPeterson
RickNW
B Poster
B Poster

Post by RickNW »

The stock EV2's get over 150 shots per fill- I've had 4, first 2 had issues. I had the regulator adjusted, I only get 75 shots now; but the accuracy has increased to plus minus 1 ft/s. I was second guessing with wasting air; but I usually fill after 50 shots anyway- need a break anyway.

The EV2 will need a couple thousand shots to really break in. When they are new the speed may be high or low and after shooting it you'll notice changes for the good. Some say they needed less shots; but expect it to break in. The best thing about this rifle is the stock and overall weight. It isn't the best barrel, my Anschutz or FWB shoot better; but I score better with EV2. Mine are the older Mark II's, one is a transitional to the Mark III; but still has the Mark II marking.

I have noticed that the nono-Black annodized are setup better- tighter? I took mine apart soon after getting them, remove stock, barrel and air stripper. Some have had issues with manufacturing, set screws and such; but a great rifle for the money.
RickNW
Finprof
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Finprof »

Hi Rick:

My understanding of the rules in either target class or open class is that an adjustable cheek piece and adjustable butt plate are legal. Almost every 10M target air rifle has both. Since target class is designed for 10M target guns there is no reason why a standard configuation would be illegal. I shoot a Walther LG300XT in target class that has an aftermarket MEC buttplate and have never been questioned on it.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Unless they juiced the EV2 up to FAC power I would go with something else like a Walther or Steyr otherwise you might as well stick with your 10m rifle. While I know AZ does some really nice work on rifles boosting power of target rigs to FT speed etc I honestly don't think many people could outshoot the stock rifles. These are high end rifles made by people that know what they are doing. So don't sweat the thought of having to get it sent off to wait and pay for a already expensive rifle to be worked on. The Steyr's are nice rifles with sweet triggers right out the box. When you talk The big 4 in high end air rifles they all shoot well and have great triggers it is more a matter of what floats your boat the most. They will all outshoot you :)

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I'm currently working on an open air rifle but wanted to customize it a lot. With that in mind, I started with a Marauder (the 10/22 of PCP air rifles) and am working through several steps.
  • Trigger: It's a very good design, but mass produced. With just adjustment, smoothing/polishing and replacement of one extra spring with a spacer, it's very good. Like Anschutz 5109 good, but not 5018 good. I wouldn't mind if it were more adjustable front-to-rear like my Anschutz triggers, though.
  • Accuracy: Taken care of by getting an extra barrel and sending it off to Mac1 inspection for accuracy prep, along with adding a single shot adapter. I thought about sending the whole gun, but I honestly don't think the rest of the shooting population really scrutinizes triggers the way we in silhouette do so I didn't want my excellent trigger mucked with. The rest of the gun is fine the way it is as far as accuracy. You can also go with a Lothar Walther barrel if you want, but the Crosman barrels are very good once match prepped. The original factory barrel had a ding in the crown and had flyers until I recrowned it. No such obvious issues with the extra one.
  • Shot string: This is taken care of by adding a Greg Davis air tube extender and a regulator. The extender will extend the shot string and the regulator will make it really consistent. I can currently only get about 35 shots (2850 to 2400psi) within the 15fps variance that I want when pushing the 10.5gr CPH pellets at 900fps. I want at least 50 with 10fps max spread. The extension and regulator will make it happen, and the extension will more than make up for the space lost in the tube with the regulator. The extension will hang a bit more weight out front, too. With the regulator set to 2000psi, I can still get the power I want and use the entire 3000-2000psi range. I also added a Dwyer gauge as it's more accurate and easier to read than the factory gauge. It's not really necessary, though.
  • Stock: The stock's not awful, but it's not great. With the few hundred bucks left between what I'll have in the Marauder and much more expensive PCP guns, I might have a custom stock built. The more I look at it, the more I think I'd be better off just modifying the factory stock. Slightly narrowing the foreend for my split finger hold, adding a bigger palm swell with a bit more vertical pistol grip, and adding and adjustable cheekpiece would fix all of my issues with the stock. It would be less than a hundred bucks of materials but several hours of work. It would be custom built to fit me, though. I thought about adding a Pharr RTS, but the way a PCP is built it wouldn't have a high enough cheekpiece from my measurements. Building it myself would let me spend that money on another carbon fiber air tank or some highpower bullets, too. 8)

I am just now getting started with the steps, as it took Crosman two monthsto get me an extra barrel and it is heading to Mac1. I was impressed with the trigger from the start, but wasn't impressed with the accuracy until I found the dinged crown and recrowned it. Otherwise, I really like it. It's very cool to go from 900fps with the 10.5gr pellets outside to 600fps with the 8gr pellets for paper practice in the garage with just the turn of one screw, even though I did have to drill a tiny hole in the stock to be able to make the change without removing the stock. I can also switch to hunting/pest control mode by just swapping the single shot adapter back out with the magazine. I really love how quiet the gun is. I have other houses all around me and they have no idea that I'm shooting unless they hear the smack of the pellet hitting the little silhouette swinger targets that I hang in my pellet trap. I head shot one of our pest starling the other day at 25yds so it wouldn't flop around and got another one with the next shot before they all realized what was going on. :twisted:
jjp
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jjp »

I have decided to get a Styer LG110 field target. Now I have to cull some stuff to fund it. Air rifles are so much fun.

JasonPeterson
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Steyr? Good choice. You really have to try different models before settling in on one model.

I have an Air Arms EV2 shooting 12 ft lbs. Like Rick it was totally disassembled when I got it as the regulator needed upgraded parts. The trigger assembly is leftover from the RN-10 days when AA got into 10M. It's similar to the FWB P70/700 series (which has soooo many adjustments).

One AR that doesn't get much attention is the AA S400 series (MPR-FT too). Their S400 series puts out enough velocity for the rams. They're the Chevy's of the AG world.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

You'll like the Styer Jason. I have one that was modified and gone through by Allan Z. with one of his super quiet moderators on it for pest control :ymdevil:
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
ShooterP14
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShooterP14 »

I just ordered one of the Air Force Edge rifles (5 minutes ago). I am having it customized to get the maximum safe velocity out of it. After contacting them they said 600 fps should not be a problem, so I'm hoping for a little more than that. The trigger pull is adjustable down to 1.5 pounds, which is perfect. I was using a Walther LG300 that had a pull of a few oz., which screwed me up when I went back to a 2# pull of my Anchutz. It should ship next week sometime. I'll keep you posted.
The Wonderful White Winged Warrior - He's Everywhere! He's Everywhere!