Be careful when you shoot steel targets.

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Be careful when you shoot steel targets.

Post by lone ringer »

Hello everyone, this is an email that I friend of mine sent me and I wanted to share it with you, specially the ones that refuse to use eye protection. I do not have the details of what they were shooting at and at what distance.

Be careful when you shoot steel targets. This video is scary! find the
spot in the video and move the follower back several times and watch...this,
in my opinion could not be set up, has to be real.
Guy shoots a .50 at a steel target. Bullet comes back, bounces off the
ground in front of his bench, and strikes his hearing protection! Play
just the action part a few times and you'll see all the details.
Interesting.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos. ... RC=navy.nl
Worker 11811
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Worker 11811 »

Shooting... ANY kind of shooting... is an "assumed-risk sport".

When Dale Earnhardt bought the farm everybody said "He knew the risks..."
Shooting guns is no different.

I have seen a few guys shoot .50 cal. They always told me to watch out for riccochets but I've never seen one in person. Only heard the odd "horror story".

My gun club's rules are 25 yd. minimum distance for smallbores and 50 yd. minimum distance for anything larger. For a "five-O"?? I wouldn't even THINK of shooting anything less than 100 yd.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Lead splatter is a real danger in small bore steel target close than 40 meters, and after seeing what happens a .22 hits something hard, I'm a believer.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

[quote="Worker 11811"]

I have seen a few guys shoot .50 cal. They always told me to watch out for riccochets but I've never seen one in person. quote]

:lol: watch out for the .50 cal riccochets. Look here comes one now, better duck.

When you don't combine the right bullet with the right target at the right distance strange things can happen. I bet a lot of accidents happen from people shooting heavy jacketed bullets are hard dense targets.
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Dee wrote:I bet a lot of accidents happen from people shooting heavy jacketed bullets at hard dense targets.
Ah - I started to say something smart aleck about NRA officials, but thought better of it...
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I'll bet it was from the stand and not the target. Anyone that shoots HP at steel closer than 200 M is an idiot. Anyone that shoots a 50cal HP jacketed bullet at anything other than paper closer than 500 M is even worse off. Stupid people do stupid things and can't be helped.