just got my 39A

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

just got my 39A

Post by deadeyeky »

yup, got all dialed in today at the range with 40 gr mini-mags, love this rifle, first match for me will be june 14th, in sunnyvale, gonna have lots of fun
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Congrats on the rifle. Smallbore cowboy is about as fun and cheap as silhouette shooting gets. :)
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

thank you, so what would u guys suggest be a good apperature sight for the 39A, ive seen other shooters with apperature sights, and i figured i might as well join the club............
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

I use William's FPTK and a Lyman 17A front sight n mine and all my lever silhouette guns.

Others prefer a Marbles Tang sight. Go to the first match and check what the other shooters are using. Most will let you try their rifle and see which yu like best

Ken
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Yep.. I use the Williams FPTK receiver sights and Lyman 17A front sights on all three of my cowboy rifles, too. I might try out a couple more tang sights on the smallbore rifle eventually but I don't want a tang sight close to my eye on my 30-30 when I'm shooting rams. :)
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

hmmm, it seems like for smallbore, tang is the way 2 go?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

At our matches, we usually have about 2/3 receiver sights and 1/3 tang sights.. and an occasional factory open sight thrown in. :)
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

hmmmm, okay, ill prolly go with the receiver sight, the longer sight radius would be the only advantage a tang has over a receiver sight, well the other night i hit 11 pigs in a row with the factory open sight, so u never kno
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I think it would be a better idea to try out a couple guns with both types on them before making the decision if that's possible. If you can hit that many pigs in a row, go to a match with your factory sights and ask about the sights you see on rifles there. I've never had any silhouette shooter not offer to let me hold (and shoot if I wanted) their rifle. Take advantage of that generosity to see which one you like better. :)
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

ok, will do
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day All
I have been trying a Firesight and they are very good in low light. If you shoot 6o'clock hold these are worth a look. All my rifles have a williams Fool proof fitted, mainly TK models but my 32/20 has a standard with just a elevation knob.
Juddy
toad
B Poster
B Poster

Post by toad »

hi ramslammer
do the fire sight's keep you hands warm on cold days
or what.??
toad :roll:
powding
B Poster
B Poster

Post by powding »

deadeye,
Before you finalize a decision on rear sights take a look at the one Tim Skinner makes. I had a Williams before but tried one of Tim's and I love it. It is simple, elegant (mine is brass), easily adusted, he will drill any size aperture opening you want, and best of all -- only $45 for it. Great guy to do business with. Here is web site.

http://www.skinnersights.com/

Scroll down to the 39A. Mine looks exactly like the one pictured on the 1894.

powding
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

wow, that looks like a very good quality peep, the only thing is is that the description says that the windage and elevation adjustments are locked down with a set screw, that would be sort of an inconvienience for silhouette shooting, need to adjust the sights every relay, other wise a very nice sight