SSUSA

This is what we do.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

SSUSA

Post by ppkny »

Just got the latest issue of SSUSA (December2006). Nice job on the article and pictures from J.Neihouse.
Pete in NY

PS, John, I won't be coming to AR this spring. Our relatives have moved to IL. I'll sure miss you guys and the great hospitality.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

What is SSUSA and where would I pick up a copy of it?
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

SSUSA, Shooting Sports USA monthly magazine from the NRA
http://www.nrapublications.org/sh.%20sports/index.asp something like 20 bucks a year I think.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Thanks for the kind words about the article Pete. I was glad that they gave good coverage to the sport.

We'll miss having you come shoot with us. And you'll miss out on getting to shoot the new red anschutz....

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Thanks, Mary. Subscribed to it today. Looking forward to see your artile, John.
unkmike7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by unkmike7 »

Nice artical, John! But, you forgot to say "Guns don't kill Chickens, people kill Chickens"........
chardonnay
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chardonnay »

John wrote a very nice article I finally got to read it after my son relinquished posession of the magazine. I have really got to get him his own subscriptions. Ed Jones also wrote a nice one on the high power. Great jobs guys.
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

I appreciate the good feedback, and I know Ed does too. SSUSA had 8 pages cut from their magazine this year and editor Tes Salb has had to do a real juggling act to get everything in. I don't claim to know much about the NRA publishing business, but it looks like to me they could roll all the "by subscription only" magazines they put out into one, larger monthly publication with departments for each of the specialiaties that the different publications offer. Centralize editioral control, develop field editors for the different regions and put out a magazine that could go to the newstand as well as subscription only. There are lots of folks out there that are interested in the different shooting sports but there doesnt' seem to be any concise publication that offers a broad spectrup to potential readers......Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

Kitty
chardonnay
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chardonnay »

John you could just get right on that for us you do seem to have a good plan there. And when you don't have time to shoot I would be happy to make sure that pretty red rifle stays in good working order for you. My favorite color is red after all :wink:
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Already took the pledge not to become involved in anymore "causes" that will interfere with my shooting. And, I'm pretty sure that this "plan" isn't original with me, it's just a simple business model. Most likely there is a "turf war" kind of thing that keeps the publications arm from making any positive moves in that direction. Competitive shooting sports makes up only a very small part of the NRA's agenda. Most emphasis is in protecting firearms owners rights (a good and valuable cause) and recruiting and educating a new member base to sway votes in the state and national elections. Now, if we wanted to break away and publish our own magazine devoted to silhouette shooting, all forms not just smallbore, put the mantle of publisher and editor on the capable shoulders of Ed Jones, put Duckgumbo in charge of advertising (the man could sell ice cubes to eskimos, how else could he be the host of the best and biggest match in the country and draw record crowds to shoot in 100+ degree temps and 100 percent humidity) and then draw from the pool of accomplished writers that shoot silhouette. Ernie Kune comes quickly to mind, as does Ed Hertfelder. There are lots more. Then put you in charge of artistic layout (who better than an accomplished costume designer) and, ladies and gentlemen, you have a winnah........Me, I'll just take credit for the whole thing.......

Kitty
chardonnay
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chardonnay »

John you seem to have it all figured out. :lol:
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Put my name at the top of the subscription list. :)