factory 30-30 loads

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
trkyroost
B Poster
B Poster

factory 30-30 loads

Post by trkyroost »

i would like to try cla for the first time and i am not set up to load 30-30 at the present time are there factory loads that would work okay for a couple of matches till i get set up
thanks
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Re: factory 30-30 loads

Post by PhxShooter »

When I first started I found Federal 150gr 30-30a ammo on sale at Cabela's and bought about 20 boxes. Worked great at a reasonable price and that brass was then reloaded when I got set up for it. The 150's in a factory load had no problem taking down the rams. In my personal opinion, Federal brass is about the best there is for this game.
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

PhxShooter wrote:When I first started I found Federal 150gr 30-30a ammo on sale at Cabela's and bought about 20 boxes. Worked great at a reasonable price and that brass was then reloaded when I got set up for it. The 150's in a factory load had no problem taking down the rams. In my personal opinion, Federal brass is about the best there is for this game.
Similar story here. Two of us got the Cableas Bulk 30-30's (HSM - http://www.cabelas.com/product/HSM-30-3 ... l+Products) in 150 and 170's till we got ready to reload, work great and very accurate in a bind.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

The HSM loads from Cabela's are great. I used it for the first year I started shooting CLA with good results, than you get the Wincester brass to reload. Used the 150's on C,P,T and the 170's on R. You just have to forget that every time you pull the trigger it's $1.14, but you do get the brass.
ppkny
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

While the HSM from Cabela's may shoot well, so does the Federal for MUCH less money. The HSM is $1.149 per shot and the Federal is $0.85 per shot for the 150gr and only $0.70 for the 170. They have a sale on the 170's http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104532480 Either way you go you get to shoot a very fun game and then end up with brass to reload. You can't lose.
Lefty
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Lefty »

How is it you guys get away with shooting a 30-30 in Cowboy Lever Action? At the culb I shoot at they only allow pistol calibers to be used in center fire CLA events.

Although I do not have my rule book in front of me I thought that was an NRA rule as well?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Lefty wrote:How is it you guys get away with shooting a 30-30 in Cowboy Lever Action? At the culb I shoot at they only allow pistol calibers to be used in center fire CLA events.

Although I do not have my rule book in front of me I thought that was an NRA rule as well?
Lefty -

Smallbore and Pistol Cartridge CLA is half scale animals at 40, 50, 75, 100 meters or yards. It is usually shot anywhere NRA Hunter Pistol and Hunter Pistol Smallbore is shot.

Cowboy Centerfire CLA is full scale animals at 50, 100, 150, 200 meters or yards. It is usually shot on the same range as the IHMSA Pistol Silhouette events that shoot the rifle cartridge/wildcat chambered handguns. Far fewer of these ranges than the former.

-Tim
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

Lefty,

There are 3 classes in Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette. Sounds like you club does not allow true "Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette" which is the rifle calibers. Apparently you only get to shoot "Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette" and Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette". You'll notice that they don't call Smallbore Cowboy "Lever Action" Silhouette because you can shoot a pump or a semi-auto in smallbore only as long as it has a tubular magazine.

Here's the actual allowable firearm descriptions from the rule book:

(a) Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette -
A. Any lever action center rifle .25 caliber or larger with a tubular magazine of original manufacture or
replica thereof. A rimmed case loaded with a round or flat nosed bullet must be used. Exception: .35
Remington is allowed
B. Targets: Long Range Pistol, at distances of 50 - 100 - 150 - 200 meters.

(b) Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette -
A. Any lever action rifle with a tubular magazine. A rimmed pistol cartridge loaded with a round or flat
nosed bullet must be used, i.e. 25-20, 32-20, 38's, 357 Magnum, 38-40, 44's, 44-40, 45 Colt, 45 Long
Colt, .22 Magnum, .22 long rifle.
B. Targets: Hunter's Pistol, at distances of 40-50-75-100 meters.

(c) Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette -
A. Any lever action, pump, or semi-auto rimfire rifle with a tubular magazine. .22 long rifle ammunition only.
Hyper velocity ammunition prohibited.
B. Targets: Smallbore Hunter's Pistol, at distances of 40-50-75-100 meters.

At our local club, Ben Avery Shooting Facility, we use anything in CLA from 30-30 to 45-70 and Marlin .308 (NOT Winchester .308) as long as it doesn't damage the targets. Same rule applies to the Pistol Cartridge. No full house .357 or .44 Mag because they'll break the targets. Downloaded ammo in those calibers is fine. Mostly it comes down to common sense.

Hope this helps
Lefty
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Lefty »

Thanks Tim and PhxShooter.

I'll have to look around and see if I can find a range that holds true "Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette" matches so I can break the old 30-30 out.
Finprof
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Finprof »

Every fall, Dick's Sporting goods has Reminton 30/30 ammunition on sale for $9.95 a box after rebate. The Remington brasss is not my favorite but at that price you can't go wrong. Brass alone typcially costs the same.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I'm still saying the HSM 30-30 from Cabela's shoots very well out to 200 meters and would be my first choice for factory ammo. I've used it and tested it.
Don't get confused when you get into this game and see add's for "Cowboy" ammo. Lever Action Silhouette is not Cowboy shooting as some people tend to mix them up. Cowboy ammo will not work at the longer distances.
ppkny